From: "Tracey de Morsella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Smith Ross
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 4:13 PM
To: The-Vine AKA; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Terrell Texas Newspaper Omits Obama on Front Page

Omission of Obama on front page stirs protest
09:11 PM CST on Thursday, November 6, 2008
By BYRON HARRIS / WFAA-TV

TERRELL - Protestors spoke out Thursday against The Terrell Tribune's decision
not to put Barack Obama's presidential victory on its front page.
The day after Obama was elected as president, the banner headline for the
Tribune focused on the county commissioner's race. The headline read, "Jackson
defeats Schoen."
About 25 residents, who said they had hoped to save the local paper with
Obama's victory noted front page, picketed the newspaper's office Thursday.
"That's what I wanted, a keepsake," said Lera Duncan, who was among the
protestors. "And this was very disappointing to me."
"They could have knocked me over with a feather," said Sarah Whitaker. "I was
flabbergasted. I couldn't imagine such an historical event would not be on the
front page somewhere on The Terrell Tribune."
Protestors pointed out that on Election Day, the Tribune had printed a John
McCain-focused story as their lead story on the front page.
"It's not the people in the community," said another protestor. "It's the paper
itself."
The Terrell Tribune's publisher, Bill Jordan, declined an on-camera interview.
"We run a newspaper, not a memory book service," he said. "We covered the local
commissioner's race. We thought that was more important."
For those who may believe race played a part in the decision, the publisher
pointed out that Democrat J.C. Jackson, who was at the center of the main story
and who won the race for county commissioner, is an African American.
But while there were a few Obama-related stories within the paper, there was no
story devoted to the presidential victory.
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]