Great. In order to save money, I've been avoiding picking up the "R.I.P." books
running in the Batman comics right now. Guess I need to break open that piggy
bank...

From: "Martin Baxter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I drool.

I DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL...

Subject : [scifinoir2] Neil Gaiman to design a demise for Batman
Date : Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:20:28 -0000
>From : "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2008-11-17-batman-gaiman_N.htm

Neil Gaiman to design a demise for Batman

By David Colton, USA TODAY

Will success kill Batman?

Just as The Dark Knight closes in on $1 billion worldwide gross, DC
Comics is ready to have Bruce Wayne "die" — or at least give up the
cape — in his monthly comic.

Batman #681, due Nov. 26, wraps up writer Grant Morrison's Batman
R.I.P. story line, in which the crimefighter is so shaken by a secret
from his past that a new Batman must be found.

What makes this "death" go beyond the usual circulation booster is the
talent involved. Helping to bury Batman will be best-selling novelist
Neil Gaiman, who created the goth-cult Sandman comic 20 years ago.

Gaiman is writing a two-issue tribute to the character, starting with
Batman #686 and tentatively titled Whatever Happened to the Caped
Crusader?, due in February.

"This is my last Batman story," he says. "And in some ways, it could
be seen as every last Batman story."

Working with artist Andy Kubert, Gaiman will try to reconcile the
various versions of Batman, some wisecracking, others brooding, over
the Dark Knight's 69-year history.

"There are infinite Batmans," he says. "It has been really hard on
Andy because I keep asking him to draw in so many different styles."

DC Comics asked writer Alan Moore, creator of Watchmen, to similarly
wrap up Superman's first half-century with Whatever Happened to the
Man of Tomorrow? in 1986. The character was retooled shortly
thereafter.

Comic-book deaths are usually short-lived. "No franchise ever closes
down for good," Gaiman says.

His return to comics had everything to do with the Batman character.
"You never forget your first," he says.

"My entire love of comics came from 1966, being 5 years old and the
Adam West TV show starting in the U.K.," says Gaiman, who's English.
"Superman is sweet and fun to write, but Batman is more than
fetishistic. … Batman sees his parents killed by criminals and vows to
do something about it.

"Every day that there are still criminals out there, he's losing."