True dat! Last vampire story I've seen in years that I loved was the British
miniseries "Ultraviolet". And so thankful was I that the talked-about
Americanized version of that never came to fruition!

From: "Martin Baxter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Keith, I'm really kinda tired of vampires in *general*.

Silly me, looking for *originality*...

Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Re: 'True Blood' amps up the enjoyable vamp antics
as its finale approaches
Date : Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:10:55 +0000
>From : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

I don't have HBO, so haven't seen this. But I too have tired of the "buxom star
in love with a vampire" theme. Does anyone remember the likes of "Nosferatu"
nowadays? "Angel" and stuff have their place, but i always think back to the
original Eastern European legends of the vampyr as a corpse crawling out of the
grave to *eat* people. I'd like to see a return to more fare like that. Of
course, that doesn't make for good TV series or swoon-inducing movies like
today's "Twilight".

As for cliche-ridden portrayals, that is the stock in trade of TV and it is
crazy. I'm from Fort Worth, love the Western flavor it still has, but even I
had to laugh at portrayals of the area like "Dallas" and "Walker, Texas
Ranger". To hear them tell it, every single businessman and woman in the
Metroplex (the DFW area), wears cowboy hats, boots, and jeans with those bolo
ties and suits. And years ago, there was an abortive attempt to create a series
based on the book and film "The Client". Think it starred Jobeth Williams. It
was set here in Atlanta. The first ep featured a riverboat on which gambling
was taking place, like something from Mark Twain's days. The thing is, there
hasn't been riverboat traffic here in over a century, let alone gambling on the
river! But somehow it made it into the show.

From: "marian_changling"
I watch it, but it annoys me more and more. Perhaps it the
Louisiana locale. I live here and know how ridiculous the
background assumptions are. Even K'ville was more true to life.

Yarbro would never allow it, but I am hungry for a show from the
vampire's POV like her St. Germain character. I am really tired of
shows from the point of view of the buxom star in love with a
vampire.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "brent wodehouse"
wrote:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/11/true