egads!
Torchwood.
I so wanted to like that show...
But the characters were so friggin annoying... and the man-kissin-man
scenes were so obviously gratituous, I just usually rolled my eyes. I
thought the writing on there was just bad; and more people needed to
die off.

Sin

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Adrianne Brennan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I love the show, and I think what is hurting it isn't the actors
but the
> uneven writing--which is pretty much what happened to Torchwood
during its
> first season.
> I am hoping that they'll clean that part up and have a FANTASTIC
second
> season.  The show has a lot of potential, and I'm frankly hooked.
>
> ~ "Where love and magic meet" ~
> http://www.adriannebrennan.com
> Take a bite out of Blood and Mint Chocolates:
> http://www.adriannebrennan.com/bamc.html
> Experience the magic of Blood of the Dark Moon on 12/2:
> http://www.adriannebrennan.com/botdm.html
>

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM, brent wodehouse <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/11/true-
blood-hbo.html

> > 'True Blood' amps up the enjoyable vamp antics as its finale
approaches

> > OK, fine, "True Blood" fans. I give up. You win.
> >
> > I like this show.
> >
> > And yet. Those of you who've been e-mailing me telling me
that "True
> > Blood," which airs its season finale 8 p.m. Sunday, is your
favorite show
> > -- I can't say I agree.
> >
> > But the friends and readers who've been saying the HBO show has
finally
> > become the escapist vamp potboiler that was lurking inside the
somewhat
> > pretentious show we first saw back in September -- yes, I agree
with that
> > assessment. Though it's not perfect, "True Blood" has improved a
lot. Dare
> > I say it no longer needs a transfusion?
> >
> > There are so many things about "True Blood" I can still pick
apart, and I
> > mentioned many of them in my initial review.
> >
> > As Sookie Stackhouse, a woman in love with a courtly vampire, the
miscast
> > Anna Paquin is often the least interesting part of this show. The
show's
> > melodrama veers into laughable Southern Gothic at times (Demon
exorcisms?
> > Really?). There are plenty of plot holes that you could drive a
hearse
> > through. The show's vampire mythology is contradictory, if not
downright
> > chaotic.
> >
> > And don't start me on the variable accents on this show: In the
Watcher
> > household, a favorite pastime is imitating all the weird ways
various
> > characters on the show pronounce the name "Sookie."
> >
> > On the other hand, lately, "True Blood" has been doing a lot of
things
> > right; in the last three or four episodes, in particular, it has
gotten
> > markedly better.
> >
> > Perhaps because of the obvious lack of charisma between Sookie
and her
> > vampire lover, Bill (the fine Stephen Moyer), the show has been
adding
> > terrific guest actors left and right. And it's focused on the one
> > through-line that unites the show's disparate elements: The
mystery of
> > who's been murdering women in Bon Temps, La.
> >
> > A few weeks ago, the wonderful Stephen Root showed up as a gay
vampire
> > accountant (and that's the first time I have ever written those
three
> > words in a row). His character didn't resemble the mostly
predictable
> > vamps on this show, which have tended to favor eyeliner, leather
pants and
> > wanton murder. He was a lonely, soft-spoken guy who thought
becoming a
> > bloodsucker would spice up his life -- but it didn't, at least
not the way
> > he thought it would.
> >
> > Sookie's dim brother, the eternally shirtless Jason (Ryan
Kwanten), used
> > to be one of my least favorite characters. But recent developments
> > involving Jason, Root's character and Amy, the hippie-dippie
psycho played
> > by the excellent Lizzy Caplan, did a lot to amp up Jason's story
line, and
> > it even gave Kwanten the chance to prove he can do more than take
off his
> > shirt.
> >
> > As if that weren't enough, in recent weeks the show featured two
> > "Homicide" veterans I would watch read from the telephone book:
Michelle
> > Forbes, of HBO's "In Treatment," and Zeljko Ivanek, who won an
Emmy for
> > his work on FX's "Damages." They're two of the best character
actors
> > working now, and Ivanek in particular was terrific as the
Magister, the
> > final adjudicator of vampire disputes. If anyone could make
sitting in a
> > chair in the back of a truck transfixing, Ivanek could.
> >
> > Forbes' role is less clear -- her mysterious character just took
in
> > Sookie's troubled friend, Tara (Rutina Wesley) -- but I dearly
hope that
> > if there is a second season of "True Blood," Forbes is in it.
Ditto for
> > Alexander Skarsgard (Iceman in "Generation Kill"), who plays
Eric, the
> > quietly intimidating "sheriff" to Southern vampires.
> >
> > In addition to loading up the show with a terrific array of guest
actors,
> > "True Blood" features one of the best supporting casts around. As
Tara,
> > Wesley has given what could have been a grating character a lot of
> > anguished depth, and I once again have to single out Nelsan
Ellis, whose
> > Lafayette is one of my favorite TV characters right now. Sam
Trammell has
> > also been providing solid support as the amiable bar owner Sam
Merlotte
> > (though I still don't understand why either Sam or Bill is
attracted to
> > the huffy Sookie).
> >
> > I don't know if this development follows the progress of
Charlaine Harris'
> > Stackhouse novels, on which the series is based, but "True Blood"
has
> > wisely opened up the world of the show beyond vampires, a
territory that
> > his been well trod in books, TV and movies for decades now. There
are
> > shapeshifters in Sookie's world, and other beings with strange
powers have
> > been hinted at as well. (One thing the show has not handled all
that well:
> > Sookie's own psychic powers, which figured prominently early in
the season
> > but have been barely mentioned in recent weeks.)
> >
> > Though it still has its self-indulgent moments, "True Blood" has
picked up
> > its pace admirably and now boasts more tension than the
lackluster current
> > season of Showtime's "Dexter." (Dare I say "True Blood" has
sucked the
> > life out of "Dexter"? Sorry, that may be one pun too many).
> >
> > An HBO representative says that viewership for the show has
increased
> > dramatically over the last couple of months (for more on that,
check out
> > this AP story). But even before those numbers went up, the
network had
> > renewed "True Blood" for a second season, which now looks like a
wise move
> > (and a necessary one -- the finale, the HBO representative said,
contains
> > a couple of cliffhangers).
> >
> > All in all, this drama is on its way to becoming what creator
Alan Ball