This proves something I've been saying for years.

H'Wood does not get it.

If Night had been smart, he would've gone overseas to get this done, then
sought funding from H'Wood for distribution rights.

 Subject : [scifinoir2] Is Airbender Casting Racist?

 Date : Tue, 23 Dec 2008 21:54:59 -0800

 From : "Tracey de Morsella" <tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.com>

 To : <scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com>

Is Airbender Casting Racist?

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&amp;id=63052
M. Night Shyamalan can't catch a break, even with something as seemingly
innocuous as a live-action film based on the popular animated Nickelodeon
television series Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Shyamalan--the love-him-or-hate-him director of The Sixth Sense,
Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, Lady in the Water and The Happening--has
raised hackles by casting white actors as the main characters in his
big-screen take on Avatar. The problem: Avatar, the TV show, featured a
decidedly Asian world with predominantly Asian characters, including Aang,
the title character, the Chosen One who must unite four warring worlds;
Sokka, Aang's friend; and Katara, Sokka's sister.

Some livid fans are calling Shyamalan--who is writing, producing and
directing the film for Paramount Pictures--racist for tapping Noah Ringer, a
karate champion from Texas, as Aang, Twilight's Jackson Rathbone as Sokka
and Nicola Peltz of Deck the Halls as Katara. Also off-putting for those
offended, pop music idol Jesse McCartney is reportedly in negotiations to
play Aang's rival, Prince Zuko.

This story continues below the image.

Loraine Sammy, a SCI FI Wire reader, wrote in to complain. "The Avatar: The
Last Airbender animated series was one [saturated] in Asian and Inuit
culture," she wrote. "To see the live-action main cast be completely turned
over to white actors was a slap in the face for those loyal to the show and
by extension, for racially diverse people. Even further anger was because
the movie is likely to stay in an Asian/Inuit-influenced world, but
populated by white people. This is Orientalism."

Sammy cited quotes from Nickelodeon executives and press releases attesting
to The Last Airbender's Asian bent. Marjorie Cohn, executive vice president,
development and original programming, once stated, "Creators Bryan Konietzko
and Mike DiMartino designed a fantastical Asian world with compelling
characters and interesting creatures that will capture kids' imaginations
and spirit."

A Nickelodeon press release said, "The unique attributes of the show--epic
storytelling, Asian influence and film quality graphics--have generated one
of the most passionate fan bases in Nickelodeon's history."

Elsewhere on the Internet, yoyoyo posted the following on
lastairbenderfans.com: "M. Night is a sell-out. Way to ruin one of the best
animated series ever."

This story continues below the image.

happening

M. Night Shyamalan on the set of his last movie, The Happening.

On the same site, Avatar Browncoat wrote: "I'm not really pleased. First
off, I'm not mad about any particular castmember's race, but a major theme
of Avatar was tolerance of difference[s]. I think selecting an all-white
cast does not hold true to this, or maybe my reaction does not (devil's
advocate). Also, it seems that in the case of selecting established actors,
in regards to Katara and Zuko, in my opinion hurt the film. A brand new
world is getting ready to be explored, [and] having an existing impression
of an actor pulls you out of the escapism and [makes] it less believable.
Lastly, I feel that if Jesse McCartney was cast as Zuko, that it would be
done strictly for mainstream crossover reasons. I think the same is true for
Sokka."

Over at mnightfans.com, David argued the following: "Sure the world of
Avatar isn't our world. But here's something which pulls apart the argument
of those who say casting white people for Katara and Sokka is OK. If there
was a cartoon mythology based on African culture, and because of the magic,
it was clearly not our world, does that mean when you make a movie about it
that you'd hire white people to act on the subject matter, which is based on
African culture? Or reverse that. If there was a cartoon mythology based on
British culture and history, if you turned it into a movie, would you get
Africans to play the main characters? I think the respectful thing to do is
to hire people to play the characters who actually have something to do with
the source culture the mythology is based on. If someone was going to make a
movie about World War II, when the Japanese invaded Pearl Habor, can you
imagine if they cast Japanese to play Americans? And Americans to play
Japanese? That movie would be such a joke. It would make no sense. The same
applies here."

Responding to that post on the same site, Brandon put the discussion in some
perspective. He wrote: "Never thought I'd see Avatar compared to a movie
about WWII . But really though, I've never seen the show nor do I know
ANYTHING about it or the characters. I really could care less what ethnicity
the characters are as long as they stay true to Night's vision of the
adaptation. Not everything that is adapted has to be EXACTLY the same as the
previous source. The book is very different than the movie, but the movie
IMO is one of the most accomplished pieces of cinema in history. All that
I'm saying is let the movie stand on its own, let the actors play their
parts, go see it opening night, and THEN you can bitch about the talents'
race. If the movie sucks, then it sucks. Not the end of the world guys!"

SCI FI Wire attempted to reach Shyamalan--who was born in India but raised
in the United States--for comment, but did not receive a response to
e-mails. Avatar: The Last Airbender is in preproduction now with an eye
toward a July 2, 2010, opening. --Ian Spelling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdwk8Yntds