Yes, sadly.
From: "Martin Baxter" <truthseeker...@lycos.com>
> [...]
> being
> the acting showcase Zone and others were.

> From: Daryle Lockhart
> > 2 weeks ago, they showed "On Thursday We Leave For Home", and I sat
> > there like it was the first time it was ever aired. I hadn't seen it
> > in years, and it was my favorite episode in high school. Serling was
> > SO ahead of his time with these episodes, and top 10 lists that
> > have "Kick The Can" and "Time Enough At Last" aren't digging deep
> > enough into the series. This was really good writing, and in some
> > cases, some really good acting!
> >
> > On Jan 2, 2009, at 12:10 AM, keithbjohn...@comcast.net wrote:
> >
> > > I forgot to mention, SciFi's been running a "Twilight Zone"
> > > marathon since yesterday. It's running until around 6 am EST
> > > tomorrow morning. You know, it's kinda sad: all the new and
> > > original dreck they throw at us, and still, a nearly fifty-year-old
> > > series has some of the best writing and acting on TV right now.
> > > I've seen most of the Zone eps many times over: Anthony, the evil
> > > little kid who sends "bad" people to the cornfield...William
> > > Shatner freaking out at the gremlin jumping on the wing of his
> > > plane during a storm...the diabolical little "Talking Tina" doll
> > > who determines to kill abusive stepdad Telly Savalas...Robert
> > > Redford's TV debut as the handsome spirit of Death stalking a
> > > fearful old woman... --and on and on.
> > >
> > > Some of the shows are a bit dated now, if only because their
> > > endings are no longer a surprise to someone steeped in decades of
> > > scifi lore (such as the man and woman astronauts stranded on an
> > > unknown planet who at the end reveal their names to be Adam and
> > > Eve). But despite that, the Zone is still an engaging, intelligent,
> > > and relevant show. One can't help watch the ep where everyone is
> > > forced to get a new body as a teen, even though all the bodies look
> > > alike, without thinking of the group think the soon departing
> > > administration foisted on this country. Or how can you look at
> > > Burgess Meredith's bookish character, sentenced to death for being
> > > "obsolete" in a State where reading old books and the Bible is
> > > banned, and not feel the sting of fundamentalists who try to force
> > > one moral stricture on all people? All of it wrapped in some of the
> > > best writing TV's ever seen, with Rod Serling and others' sharp
> > > dialogue firing off like the writings of a great play, language
> > > wielded like a fine to
> > > ol, with even the names of the characters a treat. And who can
> > > forget Serling himself, delivering that inimitable clipped-speak
> > > that introduces each show.
> > >
> > > Twilight Zone may be older than me, its shows all black and white
> > > and lacking in fancy CGI and FX, its plots sometimes predictable.
> > > But it still has messages that resonate at any time, warnings we
> > > all need to heed, humour we can all share, and a professionalism of
> > > writing and acting that i wish more creators nowadays would mimic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdwk8Yntds

--- Begin Message ---

No, Keith, not nearly so. To quote Eric Carmen, "Those days are gone..."

Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] "Twilight Zone" Marathon on SciFi
Date : Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:21:21 +0000
From : KeithBJohnson@comcast.net
To : scifino...@yahoogroups.com

Amen. I'm also impressed at the incredible list of guest stars on that series, some of which were famous at the time (Art Carney, Gig Young), many of which were just starting out, and would go on to greater fame (Robert Redford, William Shatner, Elizabeth Montgomery, Carol Burnett,etc.) One of the things I really miss with TV nowadays is the lack of good anthology shows like Zone, Outer Limits, or even reality-based ones like Police Story. Those shows were great to give exposure to up-and-comers. The best we have nowadays is I guess "Law and Order" and "CSI", but for some reason I just don't think of those shows as being the acting showcase Zone and others were.

From: Daryle Lockhart
> 2 weeks ago, they showed "On Thursday We Leave For Home", and I sat
> there like it was the first time it was ever aired. I hadn't seen it
> in years, and it was my favorite episode in high school. Serling was
> SO ahead of his time with these episodes, and top 10 lists that
> have "Kick The Can" and "Time Enough At Last" aren't digging deep
> enough into the series. This was really good writing, and in some
> cases, some really good acting!
>
> On Jan 2, 2009, at 12:10 AM, KeithBJohnson@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I forgot to mention, SciFi's been running a "Twilight Zone"
> > marathon since yesterday. It's running until around 6 am EST
> > tomorrow morning. You know, it's kinda sad: all the new and
> > original dreck they throw at us, and still, a nearly fifty-year-old
> > series has some of the best writing and acting on TV right now.
> > I've seen most of the Zone eps many times over: Anthony, the evil
> > little kid who sends "bad" people to the cornfield...William
> > Shatner freaking out at the gremlin jumping on the wing of his
> > plane during a storm...the diabolical little "Talking Tina" doll
> > who determines to kill abusive stepdad Telly Savalas...Robert
> > Redford's TV debut as the handsome spirit of Death stalking a
> > fearful old woman... --and on and on.
> >
> > Some of the shows are a bit dated now, if only because their
> > endings are no longer a surprise to someone steeped in decades of
> > scifi lore (such as the man and woman astronauts stranded on an
> > unknown planet who at the end reveal their names to be Adam and
> > Eve). But despite that, the Zone is still an engaging, intelligent,
> > and relevant show. One can't help watch the ep where everyone is
> > forced to get a new body as a teen, even though all the bodies look
> > alike, without thinking of the group think the soon departing
> > administration foisted on this country. Or how can you look at
> > Burgess Meredith's bookish character, sentenced to death for being
> > "obsolete" in a State where reading old books and the Bible is
> > banned, and not feel the sting of fundamentalists who try to force
> > one moral stricture on all people? All of it wrapped in some of the
> > best writing TV's ever seen, with Rod Serling and others' sharp
> > dialogue firing off like the writings of a great play, language
> > wielded like a fine to
> > ol, with even the names of the characters a treat. And who can
> > forget Serling himself, delivering that inimitable clipped-speak
> > that introduces each show.
> >
> > Twilight Zone may be older than me, its shows all black and white
> > and lacking in fancy CGI and FX, its plots sometimes predictable.
> > But it still has messages that resonate at any time, warnings we
> > all need to heed, humour we can all share, and a professionalism of
> > writing and acting that i wish more creators nowadays would mimic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdwk8Yntds

--- End Message ---