My art house theater is appropriately named "The Downer."

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, keithbjohn...@... wrote:

> The Tara here in Atlana (love that name, eh?) is an art house type
theatre, too. It aired "Milk" when that was in limited release. Same
with "Doubt". It often gets the films that never make it to wide
release. I've seen several British films starring older actors there,
as well as stuff like "Mongol".  As for the crowds, it is in a part of
Atlanta that's a confluence of older white folks, gays, young urban
hipsters, and black folk. It's literally just inside the county line
for Atlanta, and is a stronghold of liberal voters. Due to the nature
of the films, the crowd is usually mostly white, and skews older.

> I love the diversity though. One thing I like about living here in
Atlanta, is that my wife and I often go places--plays, musicals,
movies--where there are a lot of white folks who you can just tell
where activists, flower children, Peace Corps types from the '60s. I
get a laugh going to see the Alvin Ailey dancers, or a performance of
"Ma Rainey's Black Bottom", and seeing older guys with their thinning
grey hair pulled back in ponytails. Or silver-haired Jewish women
wearing tie-dye shirts and clapping to the soul beat fully as
excitedly as me.