I guess I'm immune to Tropic Thunder's charms. The faux trailers,
Simple Jack and the "never go full retard" scene were great. The
rest? Meh.

I laughed longer and harder at Pineapple Express. That movie had so
many throwaway bits its hard to keep up with them between laughs.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Daryle Lockhart <dar...@...> wrote:

> I submit that  "Anchorman" is possibly Will Ferrell's greatest
film.
> Also, it may be one of the greatest comedy films of the last 10
> years. Except for the fact that it's the whitest  movie since
> Sophie's Choice, It's a flawless cast with  flawless acting. I say
> this after  just  watching Tropic Thunder.  That's my submission,
and
> I am open to debate.
>

> On Feb 16, 2009, at 12:37 PM, B. Smith wrote:
>
> > No love for Anchorman?
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Keith Johnson <KeithBJohnson@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Ha-ha! I like Will Ferrell in small doses. Long after the hype
on
> > him had built, I sat down and watched "Talladega Nights" where he
was
> > NASCAR racer "Ricky Bobby", and laughed my butt off. But that was
> > only the second or third movie I'd seen him in. I also enjoyed his
> > more subtle turn in "Stranger Than Fiction", the movie where his
life
> > was literally being controlled by an author's keystrokes.
And "Elf"
> > gave me some chuckles as well. I think I saw "Elf", then "Stranger
> > Than Fiction", then "Talladega Nights", giving me silly comedy,
> > subtle comedy/drama, then silly comedy again. That was sufficient.
> > >
> > > But Ferrell needs to quit doing the same old type comedy film.
His
> > turns in the films about ice skating and basketball, for example,
are
> > all variations of the same Ricky Bobby scheme, so I avoided them.
He
> > has the looks and I think the chops to do other stuff. I don't
know
> > if he can carve the niche of understated, nuanced actor that Bill
> > Murray has found for his career. But I think he might be able to
do
> > at least as well as Adam Sandler, who's actually not half bad
when he
> > backs off the stupid comedies and reigns himself in for roles like
> > that in "Spanglish", or "50 First Dates". Ferrell has had
training,
> > like many comedians he gets the drama underlying life, and I
think he
> > could start branching out a bit more.
> > >
> > > I'm always intrigued at watching comedic actors who get their
start
> > or fame in really silly, over-the-top roles, who can also pull off
> > the more subtle stuff. Not everyone can do both: Chevy Chase, for
> > example. But actors like Steve Martin, Sandler, Murray, Robin
> > Williams, Eddie Murphy (he has the ability, just not the will I
> > guess), Steve Carell all have that talent,and I think Ferrell does
> > too. He's made the dough, now it's time to stretch...

The
> > Box Office
> > >

> > > Keith, you forgot to include Will Ferrell. I'm certain that
> > it was due to your own mental self-defenses kicking in...
> > >

> > > ---------[ Received Mail Content ]----------
> > > Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing At
The
> > Box Office
> > > Date : Sun, 15 Feb 2009 01:21:34 +0000 (UTC)
> > > From : Keith Johnson <KeithBJohnson@>
> > > To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> > >

> > > Funny. He isn't a guaranteed big draw for me. Among male actors,
> > I'm much more likely to see a flick with Don Cheadle, Chiwetel
> > Ejiofor, Clive Owen, Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall. Maybe De
Niro if
> > it's not Meet the Parents or Righteous Kill type crap. And I'd
> > actually place Clooney higher up on my list than Smith. In fact, I
> > can't remember the last time I saw a movie because Smith was in
it. I
> > saw "Hancock" and "I Am Legend" because they were scifi,
and "Hitch"
> > because it was a romantic comedy I could share with my wife. The
> > other males below, I'll certainly consider--especially Damon and
Di
> > Caprio--but depends on the type of movie they're in. I will say,
I do
> > wish Christian Slater were still doing good work, for he'd
certainly
> > be on my list.
> > >
> > > For female actors, my list would have to include Judi Dench,
Angela
> > Bassett (keep hoping she finally finds the roles that utilize her
> > massive talent), Meryl Streep (who's really impressed me with her
> > continually good work as she gets older), Kimberly Elise (woefully
> > underappreciated actress), Taraji P. Henson (hard not to be
engaged
> > with, even with unintentionally funny stuff like "He don't love me
> > no 'mo'!" in "Baby Boy"), Cate Blanchett, Jodi Foster, Queen
Latifah
> > (good dramatic and comedic actress), Sanaa Lathan.
> > >
> > > They ought to list the actors guaranteed to kill a movie, to
drive
> > people away. For me, that would include Adam Sandler (don't get
his
> > humour), Pauly Shore (how does he get work?), Jim Carey (most of
his
> > stuff is too manic for me), David Spade (loved him on TV, can't
abide
> > his film work), Mila Jovovich (horrible movie choices), Kate
Hudson
> > (she's sure to star in wretched romantic comedies that make you
gag).

US/Canada
> > Eastern
> > > Subject: [scifinoir2] Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing At The
Box
> > Office
> > >

> > > Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing At The Box Office
> > >

> > > 12 February 2009 1:27 AM, PST
> > >
> > > Will Smith has again emerged as the film star whose name on the
> > marquee guarantees a movie's success, according to most analysts.
In
> > Forbes magazine's Star Currency survey, Smith was the only film
star
> > to receive a perfect score of 10. Others in the top ten included:
> > Leonardo DiCaprio , Angelina Jolie , Brad Pitt , Tom Hanks ,
George
> > Clooney , Denzel Washington , Matt Damon , Jack Nicholson , and
Julia