That it was, Keith. "Jack of Hearts", I mean.

 Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Re: Interesting Stuff about "Leverage" Actors

 Date : Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:35:14 +0000 (UTC)

 From : Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>

 To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

Yeah, I thought it was interesting they brought Helfer on as Michael's
nemesis/handler. She does well enough in the role. I quite enjoyed Lucy
Lawless' one-show stint as the assassin Michael had to stop, who actually
manages to fool him for a while. Bruce Campbell is one of those actors who's
just too cool for school! Leading man good looks, but spending most of his
career in camp and lighthearted fare. I saw him do a two-part "Homicide" as a
cop bent on revenge for his father's murder, and he was great. One wonders what
kind of serious dramatic career he could have had. But I love all his stuff,
even that goofy series "Jack of Hearts" (I think that was the name), where he
was the swashbuckler. Remember that? It was paired with "Cleopatra 2525", a
show I hate to admit I really liked too! They were both great, silly
time-wasters.

Did Campbell gain weight for his role on Burn Notice? Sam is always eating and
drinking, and I don't remember him being this heavy before getting the series.

As for Sticky Fingaz, he played just another thug who Michael had to scare out
of town. The role actually demanded less acting chops than the late, unlamented
"Blade" series he did! In fact, if I have any complaint about Burn Notice, it's
that I haven't seen any black people get to play cool spies or agents, just
crooks or victims. In the last few months, there was one show about a former
gangster turned record mogul (with the requisite black youth with no parents),
Fingaz's turn as a car thief, and last week's about a Haitian man wanting
vengeance for the death of his daughter at the hands of a warlord. That last
had all sorts of American actors--including Clarence Williams III--affecting
those horrible Hollywood fake-Caribbean accents.Three shows in one season with
blacks as criminals of the worst sort, and all cliches at that. That's the one
thing I'd like to see them improve. Of course, I'm sure Russians, Cubans,
Serbs, Slovenians, Czechs, and all sorts of others would c!
 omplain about their portrayals too! :)