http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/03/battlestar-galactica-united-nations-olmos-moore.html

Originally posted: March 18, 2009

'Battlestar Galactica's' trip to the United Nations

It seemed fitting that the rag-tag fleet's journey ended at the United Nations.

Since the debut of "Battlestar Galactica," which ends its run in spectacular
style on Friday (8 p.m. Central, Sci Fi; four stars), the drama has depicted
the remnants of humanity in a desperate struggle for survival. During the
course of four seasons, they not only endured the worst that their Cylon
enemies had to dish out, they discovered the darkest impulses that lurked in
their own hearts.

As a method of resistance, they used suicide bombers. To get information, they
tortured Cylons. When they suspected treason, they turned on each other and
tossed traitors out the ship's airlock. They constantly struggled to balance
human rights with the precarious security of the fleet, which started out with
around 50,000 survivors but lost thousands along the way.

"We saw … good people making really ugly choices," moderator Whoopi Goldberg
said near the end of Tuesday's two-hour panel on the show at the United Nations.

The panel, which included executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick
and stars Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos as well as four U.N. officials,
was organized by the U.N. as part of a new effort to link the organization's
concerns to the creative community. It was held in the Economic and Social
Council Chamber, an imposing room full of rows of delegate seating facing a
dais on one end of the room. In the audience were fans of the show, network
executives, members of the media and more than 100 high school students, who
were there representing Think Quest NYC, an educational outreach project.

The audience members sat in the seats reserved for diplomats and delegates, but
instead of nameplates listing the names of real countries, signs in front of
each seat said "Caprica," "Gemenon," "Picon" and the names of the other nine
colonies seen on the Sci Fi show. The overall effect made you feel as though
you'd stepped onto one of the show's sets; perhaps "Battlestar's" president
Laura Roslin (McDonnell) was about to pacify the restive Quorum of the Twelve
Colonies.

But this wasn't a set. And despite the fact that "Battlestar Galactica" is set
in a fictional universe, the United Nations representatives on the panel
praised the show for its depiction of the ways in which war, torture,
deprivation and terrorism affect real people.

Robert Orr, an anti-terrorism expert and the U.N.'s Assistant Secretary-General
for Policy Planning, pointed out that a few months ago, in that very room,
victims of terrorism attacks told their harrowing tales to an array of
diplomats. Their stories had an effect: Orr talked about seeing those officials
"throw out their talking points" and began to take seriously the idea of
linking basic human rights to their nations' anti-terrorism efforts.

Orr spoke after the audience was shown a "Battlestar" clip in which military
leader Saul Tigh (Michael Hogan) defended the use of suicide bombers against
the Cylons. In that episode – not for the first time -- the show put viewers in
an uncomfortable position. The grizzled Tigh is one of the show's best-loved
characters, yet here he was advocating terrorist tactics and telling the
president he didn't have time for her "pieties."

"We don't like to confront these tough issues in our world. But they are oh so
real," Orr said. "If a show like `Battlestar Galactica' can get us think about
it and can get us talking about it… It isn't easy. I've heard these words from
people. But they weren't actors."

Craig Mokhiber, deputy director of the New York office of the U.N.'s High
Commissioner for Human Rights, talked about how the show, via the human-Cylon
struggle for dominance, examined "this idea of the Other – defining human
beings as being the Other so that we can dehumanize them and ultimately destroy
them."

"We are all entitled to a social and international order in which all of the
rights and freedoms of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights can be fully
realized, regardless of race, sex, language or religion," Mokhiber. Linking the
quest for basic human rights to the "Battlestar" characters' search for Earth,
he said, "I would suggest that this is the mythical Earth for which we are all
searching."

Soon after that statement, Olmos' gravelly voice rumbled across the hall.

"You should have never invited me here," he chuckled. While praising Mokhiber's
efforts, he objected to the use of the word "race as a cultural determinant."

"We've made the word race a way of expressing culture," Olmos said. "There's
only one race, and that's what the show brought out – that is the human race.
Period."

After expanding his point on how the construct of race had been used to justify
oppression, he repeated loudly, "There is but one race! So say we all!" There
was vociferous applause and chants of the "Battlestar" catchphrase reverberated
through the august chamber.

One of the high school students in the audience asked if she should be worried
about the fact that almost most people these days, especially young people, are
"addicted" to technology. As viewers saw over the course of four seasons of
"Battlestar," letting technology get out of hand can potentially lead to, well,
attempted genocide, among other unpleasant things.

Moore responded that for older people, the idea of true artificial intelligence
was "science fiction," whereas young people will deal with those kinds of
developments as reality. The ethical dilemmas that come with creating life,
even artificial life, will "rush up on us before" we're ready to confront them,
Moore said.

Goldberg had a few choice words for the over-reliance on gadgets. "Put the
thing down once in a while," she remarked dryly.

Later, McDonnell responded eloquently to a question about the imperatives of
the military versus the rule of democracy and Roslin's role in executing the
fleet's enemies. For a woman who had been perceived, early on, as a tentative
former schoolteacher, President Roslin didn't blink when it came to tossing a
fractious Cylon into space. In fact, in time fans started to call her character
"Madam Airlock."

"She can talk about how she was haunted by the airlock," Eick said. "But she's
also the one who made it a verb."

"The series is winding down this week," Goldberg said near the end of the
session. "What do you want people to take away from it?"

Olmos said he hoped that, on their deathbeds, those who had spent many hours of
their lives watching every episode of the show would not feel that time had
been wasted. And he gave an eloquent speech about how, at every stage, the
scripts that the writers came up with had been elevated not just by the cast
and crew and the post-production staff, but by the bloggers and the fans who
obsessively analyzed every aspect of the show.

"They took it to a level that was immensely further than we had ever intended,"
he said. "We had to give up our ownership and …allow them to give us" their
feedback, and in his view, the show was better for it.

McDonnell said she hoped that people had absorbed the show's themes of
"patience" and "forgiveness" as the means to "break the cycle of violence."

Moore's first response was to say that he hoped that people were entertained.
And indeed, the show would never have been a success had it not told these
challenging stories of morality and ethics through the prism of compelling
characters and emotionally nuanced relationships (not to mention some pretty
cool space battles).

"He creates from a place that doesn't seem to be conscious of what people need.
He has an instinct for it. It's in his subconscious," McDonnell said of Moore
at a post-panel cocktail reception at the U.N. "But because he isn't trying to
teach anyone anything, he incorporates the human experience, which includes a
great deal of humor and a great deal of complexity."

"We challenged the audience in a lot of ways," Moore noted at the close of the
panel. "We pushed a lot of tough ideas on the audience, we made them look at a
lot of ugly things over the course of these four [seasons]. We made them
question their heroes, we had them rooting for villains. We had them trying to
grapple with really complex moral and ethical dilemmas in the guise of a weekly
television series about killer robots in outer space."

"I guess if you watched this series and you decided to think about some of the
issues that `Battlestar Galactica' talked about, if what you end up believing
at the end is the exact same thing you thought in the beginning -- at least you
thought about it," he concluded.

For more on "Battlestar Galactica," including a post-finale interview with
Moore, come back to this site early Saturday, after the series finale airs.