Well, said, and I can relate to everything you said in this movie. If only ten
of them and five series hadn't preceded it...

----- Original Message -----
From: "ravenadal" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:55:06 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Best Red Shirt Death EVER!

I waited until my 20 year-old son returned home from college to see the new
Star Trek movie with him this weekend. Apparently, the movie is still going
strong, at least at the upscale IPIC theater where we saw it in adjacent
reclining Barcaloungers. We were unable to get adjacent seats at either of the
first two showings we attempted to buy tickets for and had to opt for a viewing
three hours later. We had a ball watching it, then had big fun picking it apart
afterwards. We both chuckled when upon meeting Spock Dr. McCoy commented, "I
like him!" And we both exclaimed "red suit!" when Kirk and Sulu entered the
exit pod enroute to launching down to disable the Romulan drill. And I laughed
out loud at the best red shirt death EVER! WE looked at each other and shared
smiles at several of the affectionate homages Abrams made to the Star Trek
canon. Sops to the faithful? Perhaps, but I thought they showed the proper
amount of respect to the franchise. In fact, much of what made the movie
enjoyable was the wealth of Star Trek knowledge we brought with us. I was very
impressed that Abrams was able to take something so shopworn and make it into
something so shiny and new.

As someone who despises dogma, I am highly amused by the Trek faithful who are
outraged by Abram's "sacrilege." I direct all of you to Kevin Smith's movie
"Dogma." If Smith could do this this Catholicism, Abrams can do this to Star
Trek.

To me, the Kirk Conundrum - how does this brash whippersnapper get to helm the
flagship of the Federation is no more perplexing or illogical to me than the 13
year-old Kirk drag racing a vintage cherry red Corvette or female crew members
being dressed like stewardesses from the 1960's ("Fly Me!"). What the Star Trek
movies and subsequent series did was clean up the Crayola-colored,
hormone-fueled juvenilia of the Original Series. And Abrams, bless his heart,
has put it all back!

Regarding the surprising, unexpected and totally logical hook-up between Spock
and Uhura: As Spock's father divulges, he married Spock's mother because "he
loved her," and if it is possible for a full-blooded Vulcan to love an
Earthling, wouldn't it follow that Spock would be likewise influenced? First
enraptured by his intended's intellect, then her conviction and firm spine and
only then by how fetching she looks in a mini-skirt. I loved the way the dots
were connected in this movie - where future developments were presaged by prior
events already revealed.

~rave!

http://twitter.com/ravenadal
http://blackplush.blogspot.com