Don't smile yet, Martin. In the new Abrahamic Trek universe, the Webb telescope
will probably be hijacked by renegade Andorians (now loosened on the galaxy
since the demise of Vulcan).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Baxter" <truthseeker...@lycos.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:36:03 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [RE][scifinoir2] Spacewalkers pull off toughest Hubble repairs yet

        I am smiling right now...

Subject : Re: [RE][scifinoir2] Spacewalkers pull off toughest Hubble repairs
yet
Date : Sun, 17 May 2009 22:33:01 +0000 (UTC)
>From : Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>
To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

Yeah, it's called the Webb telescope, scheduled for launch in four years:

http://webbtelescope.org/webb_telescope/

The James Webb Space Telescope is NASA's next orbiting observatory and the
successor to the Hubble Space Telescope. A tennis court-sized telescope
orbiting far beyond Earth's moon, Webb will detect infrared radiation and be
capable of seeing in that wavelength as well as Hubble sees in visible light.

Infrared vision is vital to our understanding of the universe. The furthest
objects we can detect are seen in infrared light, cooler objects that would
otherwise be invisible emit infrared, and infrared light pierces clouds of
dust, allowing us to see into their depths. Webb will unleash a torrent of new
discoveries, opening the door to a part of the universe that has just begun to
take shape under humanity's observations.

Right now, scientists and engineers are piecing Webb together, creating through
cutting-edge technology an innovative observatory that not only withstands
intense cold, but uses it to its advantage; an observatory that folds up inside
a rocket for launch and unfurls like a butterfly opening its wings upon nearing
its orbit.

In 2013, the Webb telescope will launch into space, sailing to the distant,
isolated orbit where it will begin its quest. Supernovae and black holes, baby
galaxies and planets' potential for supporting life — Webb will help reveal the
answers to some of the biggest mysteries of astronomy.