From: sincere1906 <sincere1...@gmail.com>
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Jive-talking twin Transformers raise race issues
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 11:44 AM

      Mike,

And as you can guess, there is already uproar over the mere mention of racism
or at the least racial insensitivity and stereotyping. The game usually works
like this: black people (or other people who have faced oppression) point out
they find something degrading in a film, tv show, etc. The maker of the film
balks, asserting with righteous indignation that it's absolutely nonsense. With
an air of white privilege he/she will assert they have no bias, and then turn
the tables on those who are pointing out the perceived racial slight.

Most of  America, ever eager to dismiss black or "other" grievances, will
usually chime in. Those complaining about racial insensitivity will be told to
"get over it." They'll be told it's all in their heads and that *they* are the
racist ones being preoccupied with race. A few famous black apologists will be
rolled out to say the black community should be worried about kids with low
hanging pants (the scourge of the afrotocracy! ) or the like instead of a mere
movie. Some will even come forth and say, "sure it's a stereotype-- but it's
also true, so that makes it alright!" Oh and the Bill Cosby acolytes will
naturally blame the rappers--who it seems invented a time machine, went back
two centuries, and created all known black stereotypes- -forcing unwilling
white masses to adopt them.

So the powerful media mogul/company will be cast as the victim, and the usually
oppressed grouping and the few vocal advocates will then be cast as the
villains--trying to ruin everyone's fun. It's the old "switcheroo" --and its
quite old.

In 1906 when black new yorkers complained about the Bronx Zoo putting an
African "pygmy" in a cage and displaying him as a type of ape, major NY papers
dismissed them as overly sensitive complainers. When Birth of a Nation hit the
screens and was decried by black advocates as racism, they were also told they
were just overreacting. Woodrow Wilson said he didn't understand the uproar
over the film, and that the only thing regretable about it was that it was all
"true."

And this theme has rolled on and on and on--from Vaudeville minstrels right
down to our present day "jive-talking" and "gold-toothed" autobots. Sometimes,
as in the case of Don Imus or Michael Richards, the complainers get a minor or
temporary victory--but they must also endure alot of scorn, being cast as
"troublemakers" or "not having a sense of humor," etc.

There are two powerful forces at play here--both the usual white dismissal of
black or "other" concerns as not really consequential but instead part of some
emotional reaction; and secondly the persistent view of black culture/people as
the entertaining figures in the white imagination.

Of note, it's never always that cut-n-dry of course--as the first person who I
heard call these two figures "Amos n Andy offensive stereotypes, " was a white
movie reviewer. More power to him...

Sin / Black Galactus