True, but I also believe that you can't be safe if you don't know what you
are doing. A lot of people get into bad situations because they "think" they
know what they are doing. For example, a man died during a S&M scene because
she thought she knew what she was doing when she filled the guy`s mouth
peanut butter and left him hanging in the closet for an hour. It may not
have killed the first guy she did it with so she assumed that it was safe.
She didn't bother to learn safety precautions or what could happen when you
leave someone hanging for so long. (gravity comes into play)

Spike has a tv show that focuses on mishaps like this called 1000 ways to
die.