If so, then I suffer from the same condition.

If given the opportunity to own an arcade stand up version of "Defender", I'd pay quite a bit. I would also pay quite a bit to own a Fairlight synthesizer system in my house, and my MacBook has more power. The collector's mind is not a rational mind. There is an arbitrary value placed on things that nobody else cares about. Think about all the Star Trek stuff that sold at the Christie's auction.

On Jul 7, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Aubrey Leatherwood wrote:

Is there something wrong with me that I have no issues with this fellow's purchase?

Aubrey Leatherwood
www.aubreyleatherwood.com
FaceBook * MySpace Imperfection
A tale of perfect commitment, perfect love... and perfect sex.
The People You Know, The Sex They Have
ROMANTIC TIMES NOMINEE FOR BEST CONTEMPORARY EROTICA 2008
ISBN: 978-0-9818905-0-0

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: justinmoha...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:08:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Man Pays Thousands for Obscure Video Game

I just want to point out that there are more copies of Action Comics # 1 available than this game.

For context.

Justin

On 2009-07-07, at 12:00 AM, Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net> wrote:

Wow, talk about a fan. How many PS3's, Wii's, XBox 360's, Sega Genesis' (I still have that console, it's great), SNES' (ditto), and 3DO's --complete with full game libraries--could he have bought with that much dough?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/the-17-500-video-game/ 1332488
The $17,500 video game

by Mike Smith

Buzz up!
July 6 1:32 P.M.

Would you pay $17,500 for this?

Think $60 video games are too expensive? You won't hear any argument from us, but you might from JJ Hendricks, a collector who just paid a clinically insane $17,500 for an obscure NES game from 1990. The game in question is an ultra-rare, gold-colored version of Nintendo World Championships, a cartridge specially produced for use in a Nintendo-sponsored gaming contest. According to Wikipedia only 26 were created, and Hendricks calls it the "Holy Grail" of video game collectors. The game itself has a time limit of just 6 minutes and 21 seconds and consists of three short segments from other NES games: Super Mario Bros., Tetris, and Rad Racer. Players are scored according to their performance in each game, and their scores are totaled once the time limit expires. Doesn't sound too riveting to us, but then somehow we doubt Hendricks is in it for the gameplay. And while $17,500 might seem a bit much for a collection of ones and zeroes, Hendricks actually got a bargain: the game was originally listed on eBay for a cool $25,000.

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.