I haven't seen this version. I like the version with Heston, though it varies
from the book (I hear). It's decent '70s scifi. The one aired last week on SyFy
was horrible. It was like a Van Damme or Lundgren flick where they throw in the
trappings of a scifi world, then execute what is basically a standard
fighting/actioneer. the movie didn't even *feel* like it was another world: it
looked and felt exactly as if it had been filmed in our current reality, and
the fights and stuff were standard martial arts/gun battles from a hundred
other movies, most of them non scifi. Horrible.

I liked "I Am Legend" in many ways. Smith did a creditable job. The sense of
loneliness and despair is palpable. there are a couple of genuinely scary
moments. The major mistakes in the movie are the plotting and pacing, in that
the arrival of other humans on the scene takes place very late in the film.
Things are then resolved quickly and unsatisfactorily. It's as if they spent
all the writing and time on Smith as one man alone, then had to rush things at
the end. Could have used anothe twenty minutes to work on that, or cut a bit of
the stuff that came before. The other thing that was a bigger problem for me
was the use of CGI for the mutated humans. They were in every single scene,
painfully, obviously CGI. They were nowhere nearly as convincing as Gollum in
LOTR, and it was distracting. The scenes where they attack Smith's house, or
menance him on a pier, aren't exciting because they're leaping about like
Spider-Man, and the FX used to display those superhuman feats are every bit as
false looking as the worse scenes in the Spider-Man movies. I simply couldn't
suspend my awareness of the CGI characters enough to be engaged by them--except
for one, terrifying moment in a building where the cinematography obscures the
CGI nature of the characters.
Other than that, good movie.