From: "Martin Baxter" <truthseeker...@hotmail.com>
To: "SciFiNoir2" <scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:56:20 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] Re: SF's 26 Greatest Tearjerkers

I hear you, pal.

My own moment-of-tears with the written word came when I first read Katherine
Kurtz's "Camber the Heretic", a scene when a group of psi-gifted humanoids
where being massacred by humans. One of the humanoids (Deryni, their race was
called), Rhys, a doctor with the power to heal, was trying to escape when he
saw injured humans nearby. Being a doctor, he followed the Hippocratic and
stopped to begin healing the person. As he was doing so, he was hit from
behind, a blow that stoved in his head, destroying the part of his brain that
enabled him to heal. His wife Evaine learned this as she went into his mind,
trying to access his power to heal him. All the while, he was still conscious,
feeling himself die, saying his goodbyes to his friends telepathically...
marked the first and only time I've ever thrown a book.

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant