I can't stress enough how much Joe Morton brings to "Eureka". Morton's one of
those actors with a face and bearing you just trust and respect. He can play a
likeable guy, a strong leader, a tortured and confused soul. I have followed
him for years, whether it's been great turns in John Sayles flicks--and it's
saying a lot that Morton is a fav of Sayles'--having the lead in the shortlived
TV series "Under One Roof", playing a memorable role as a former boxer turned
transvestite on "New York Undercover", or even his guest stint as Whitley's
love interest on "A Different World". Even his bit in "Terminator 2" is
memorable. The anguish he feels at what his work has caused for the future is
palpable, and I hated to see the character die.

It's a crime that Morton hasn't gotten the major roles and respect he deserves.
He's done a lot of stuff, but never got to that A-list on TV or film. And while
I'm really happy to see him get steady work on "Eureka", and like the
steadiness his character brings to that world, I keep hoping to see him get
some meatier roles. That's especially true as long as the showrunners seem
hesitant to give him a real life. Like I said, he's mayor now, but that angle's
not explored, and I really dislike them killing off Kim--twice.

And for those of you young 'un's who don't understand my praise of Morton, do
yourself a favor and look up his great performances in the movie "City of Hope"
(a John Sayles joint), the shortlived but well done TV series "Tribeca" (which
co-starred Carl Lumbly and Lawrence Fishburne), and especially, the classic
Sayles' film "The Brother From Another Planet". That last, in which Morton
plays an alien slave on the run, is an amazing performance given that he speaks
not a word, and must convey everything with just his facial expressions and
body language.

I wonder if the "Eureka" showrunners really understand what a great asset they
have in Morton...?