Deity, why hast thou forsaken us?

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: keithbjohn...@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 03:45:35 +0000
Subject: [scifinoir2] From the "Please let them be wrong!" Category

You have got to be kidding! I almost walked out of the second "Bad Boys", so
bad it was with crappy writing, unfunny jokes,
over-the-top-but-unmoving noise and explosions. I thought it was the
ultimate exercise in bad Hollywood movie making: a film that was
louder, more violent, more full of car stuff, more--more-- than anything
out at the time. Instead it just made me feel numbed. The worst mix of Smith
and Lawrence telling lame jokes (I was offended at the comments made at female
corpses' breast), Bay at his directing worse. Even managed to waste Gabriel
Union (her chase scene in that van actually had me and my wife laughing).

And we're recently talking about the fear that Hollywood will go even further
down the path of abandoning high concept films, good dramas, and original
properties in favor of endless sequels, comic-to-movie adaptations, and low
budget, high profit comedies and horror flicks.  We hear that only the likes of
Smith will continue to get big salaries. I was even watching Leonardo Di Caprio
on Charlie Rose recently saying how it was getting harder to make a good drama
unless it had a lot of action and appealed to key demographics.

This is a key example of that unfortunate trend.

I will *not* be in the seats for this one, if the rumours prove to be true.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if39271c89709c28eceb20163c74fc6f4

'Bad Boys 3' in the works
Peter Craig will write the screenplay
By Borys Kit
Aug 30, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

Columbia Pictures is developing a third installment of the
high-octane "Bad Boys" franchise, tapping Peter Craig to pen the
screenplay.

The hope is to have a script that would reunite director Michael
Bay, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and stars Will Smith and Martin
Lawrence. At this point, with the project in the early stages, none has
a deal to return.

The "Boys" movies feature Smith and Lawrence as Miami detectives
Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett, caught up in cases involving car chases
and explosions.

The first "Boys," released in 1995, helped launch Bay as a director
and Smith as an action star even though it was not a fire-stamped
blockbuster -- it grossed $66 million domestically and $141 million
worldwide.

The sequel, released in 2003 when Bay and Smith's stars had risen,
grossed $138 million domestically and $273 million worldwide.

All parties have expressed a willingness to return if a story can
be hammered out. One potential hurdle, however, would be the costly
deals with the players.

Craig, repped by CAA and Management 360, co-wrote "The Town," which
Ben Affleck is directing for Warner Bros. and which shoots in Boston
next month. He is adapting anime "Cowboy Bebop" for 20th Century Fox
and Keanu Reeves.