(standing ovation)

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: keithbjohn...@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 04:36:28 +0000
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] DC Screws McDuffie and Buries Milestone

I'm too depressed to comment. I was with Milestone from the first issues of
Hardware, Static ("Don't Start None, and there won't be None!"), Blood
Syndicate, then later, "My Name is Holocaust", "Shadow Cabinet", Xombi. Great
stuff, great to see black people in major roles in comics. Hell, great to see a
black female character finally drawn with a *butt*!
I was heartbroken when Milestone died, and cautiously optimistic when DC pulled
this deal. I just never felt that a company that caters to the mainstream was
going to be able, capable, or willing to treat characters of color with
respect, and guess I was right.

Damn shame. I do wonder though, why did the guys license away all their rights
wholesale? Why the hell not work out a deal where they could lease them out
temporarily, or only for specific projects? But to give away all rights in
perpetuity to your creations--not a good move!