Yes, Keith, that version aired last night was a mash-up of Farmer's first two
Riverworld novels, "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" and "The Fabulous Riverboat".
And many of the characters in Farmer's work were actual historical figures all,
not the smattering we saw in that. (Something that may be addressed in the
remake coming next year. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1419950/ Note that Peter
Wingfield is listed as "Burton", whom I'm taking to be Sir Richard Burton.) And
the villain of Farmer's series wasn't Nero, but King John of England.

As for Dodgers, I laugh every time I think of his name now. Reminds me of my
favorite ep of the show, when Dodgers has to impersonate the super-smart baby
negotiator at a galactic peace symposium, because the Martians have kidnapped
him, while the Eager Young Space Cadet goes off to rescue the kid alone. One
expects Dodgers to muck things up, but he actually manages to forge a peace
between all aprties. Then the Cadet brings back the kid, who proceeds to fan
the flames of war among all parties. Dodgers just shrugs his shoulders and
walks away.

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant