ahar...@earthlink.net
Totally.  I made the right choice to vote for Cynthia McKinney.
Outraged Amy

  From: kalpub...@aol.com [mailto:kalpub...@aol.com]
  Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 3:26 PM
  To: jeffreypbal...@gmail.com; tdemorse...@multiculturaladvantage.com
  Cc: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com; dar...@darylelockhart.com;
afrikanm...@hotmail.com; cbilmarket...@yahoo.com;
  Subject: Obama's Mistakes in Health Care Reform

  COUNTERPUNCH.COM

  http://www.counterpunch.com

  Labor Day Edition
  September 7, 2009

  Why Obama Needed Single Payer on the Table
  Obama's Mistakes in Health Care Reform
  By VICENTE NAVARRO

  Let me start by saying that I have never been a fan of Barack Obama. Early
on, I warned many on the left that his slogan, “Yes, we can,” could not be read
as a commitment to the major change this country needs (see “Yes, We Can. Can
We? The Next Failure of Health Reform”). Still, I actively supported him
against John McCain and was very pleased when he became president – for many
reasons, encompassing a broad range of feelings. O ne reason was that Obama is
African-American, and the country needed to have a black president. Another was
that his election seemed to signal the end of the Bush era. But, the most
important reason was that I saw him as a decent man, surrounded by some good
people who could promote change from the center and open up some possibilities
for progress, giving the left a chance to influence the administration’s
policies. Well, after just over seven months of the Obama White House, I have
no reason to doubt that he is a decent man, but I am dismayed by the bad
judgment he has shown in the choice of some of his staff and advisors. I really
doubt that he is going to be able to make the changes we need. As I said, I
never had great expectations about him and his policies, but even the lowest of
my expectations have not been met.

  Some among the many skeptics on the left might add, “What did you expect?”
Well, at least I expected Obama to show the same degree of astuteness that he
and his team had shown during the campaign. He seemed to be a brilliant
strategist, and his election proves this. But my greatest disappointment is the
strategies he is now following in his proposals for health care reform – they
could not be worse. I am really concerned that the fiasco of this reform may
make Obama a one-term president.

  Error number One

  One of the two major objectives for health care reform, as emphasized by
Obama, is the need to reduce medical care costs. The notion that “the economy
cannot afford a medical care system so costly, with the annual increases of
medical care running wild” has been repeated over and over – only the tone
varies, depending on the audience. An element of this argument is Obama’s
emphasis on eliminating the federal deficit. He stresses that most of the
government deficit is due to the outrageous growth in costs in federal health
programs. Thus, a crucial part of the message he is transmitting is the health
care reform objective of reducing costs.

  This message, as it reaches the average citizen, seems like a threat to
achieve cost reductions by cutting existing benefits. This perception is
particularly accentuated among elderly people – which is not unreasonable,
given that the president indicates that the funds needed to provide health
benefits coverage to the 48 million currently uncovered will come partially
from existing programs, such as Medicare, with savings supposedly achieved by
increasing efficiency. To the average citizen (who has developed an enormous
skepticism about the political process), this call for savings by increasing
efficiency sounds like a code for cutting benefits. Not surprisingly , then,
one sector of the population most skeptical about health care reform is seniors
– the beneficiaries of Medicare. The comment that “government should keep its
hands off my Medicare,” as heard at some of the town hall meetings, is not as
paradoxical or ridiculous as the liberal media paint it. It makes a lot of
sense. An increasing number of elderly people feel that the uninsured are going
to be insured at the expense of seniors’ benefits.

  Error Number Two

  The second major objective of health care reform as presented by Obama is to
provide health benefits coverage for the uncovered: the 48 million people who
don’t have any form of health benefits coverage. This is an important and
urgently needed intervention. The U.S. cannot claim to be a civilized nation
and a defender of human rights around the world unless this major human and
moral problem at home is resolved once and for all. But, however important,
this is not the largest problem we have in the health care sector. The most
widespread problem is not being uninsured but underinsured: the majority of
people in the U.S. – 168 million, to be precise – are underinsured. And many
(32 per cent) are not even aware of this until they need their health insurance
coverage. This undercoverage is an enormous human, social, and eco nomic
problem. Among people who are terminally ill, 42 per cent worry about how they
or their family will pay for medical care. And most of these people are insured
– but their insurance does not cover all of their conditions and necessary
interventions. Co-payments, deductibles, and other extra expenses – besides the
insurance premiums – can amount to 10 per cent or even higher proportion of
disposable income.

  During the presidential campaign, both Obama and Hillary Clinton, in
discussing the need for health care reform, made frequent reference to
heart-breaking stories – cases in which families and individuals suffer under
our current system of medical care. But none of the proposals that the Obama
administration is ready to support would address most of these cases. It will
be an embarrassing and uncomfortable moment during the 2012 presidential
campaign if someone asks candidate Obama about what has happened to some of the
people whose stories he told in the 2008 campaign.

  Error Number Three

  Obama plans to cover the uninsured by increasing taxes on the rich (a very
popular measure, as shown in all polls) and by transferring funds saved through
increased efficiencies in existing programs, including Medicare (an unpopular
measure, for the reasons I=E 2ve mentioned). We see here the same problems
we’ve seen with other programs targeted to specific, small sectors of the
population, such as the poor. Programs that are not universal (i.e., do not
benefit everyone) are intrinsically unpopular. This is why antipoverty programs
are unpopular. People feel that they are paying, through taxation, for programs
that do not benefit them. Compassion is not, and never has been, a successful
motivation for public policy. Solidarity is. You support others with the
understanding that they will support you when you need it most. The long
history of social policy, in the U.S. and elsewhere, shows that universality is
a better way to get popular support for a program than means-testing for
programs targeted to specific vulnerable groups. The limited popularity of the
welfare state in the U.S. is precisely due to the fact that most programs are
not universal but means-tested. The history of social policy shows that the
best way to resolve poverty is not by developing antipoverty programs, but by
developing universal programs to which all people are entitled – for example,
job and incomes programs. In the same way, the problem of noncoverage by health
insurance will not be resolved without resolving the problem of undercoverage,
because both result from the same failing: the absence of government power to
ensure universal rights. There is no health care system in the world (including
the fashionable Swiss model) that provides universal health benefits coverage
without the govern ment intervening, using its muscle to control prices and
practices. The various proposals being put forward by the Obama administration
are simply tinkering with, not resolving, the problem. You can call this
government role “single-payer” or whatever, but our experience in the U.S. has
already shown (what other countries have known and practiced for decades) that
without government intervention, all the measures now being proposed by this
administration will be handsome bailouts for the
medical-insurance-pharmaceutical complex.

  Error Number Four

  I can understand that Obama does not want to advocate single-payer. But he
has made a huge tactical mistake in excluding it as an option for study and
consideration. He needs single-payer to be among the options under discussion.
And he needs single-payer to make his own proposal “respectable.” (Keep in mind
how Martin Luther King became the civil rights figure promoted by the
establishment because, in the background, there was a Malcolm X threatening the
establishment.) This was a major mistake made by Bill Clinton in 1993. When
Clinton gave up on single-payer, his own proposal became the “left” proposal
(unbelievable as that may seem) and was dead on arrival in Congress. The
historical function of the left in this country has been to make the center
“respectable.”=2 0If there is no left alternative, the Obama proposals will
become the “left” proposal, and this will severely limit whatever reform he
will finally be able to get.

  But there’s another reason that Obama has erred in excluding single-payer. He
has antagonized the left of his own party that supports single-payer, without
which he cannot be reelected in 2012. He cannot win only with the left, of
course, but he certainly cannot win without the mobilization of the left. His
victory in 2008 is evidence of this. And today, the left is angry at him. It is
a surprise to me, but Obama is going to pay the same price Clinton paid in
1994. Clinton antagonized the left by putting deficit reduction (under pressure
from Wall Street) at the top of his policies and supporting NAFTA against the
wishes of the AFL-CIO and the majority of Democrats. The Gingrich Republican
Revolution of 1994 was due to a demobilization of the left. The Republicans got
the same (I repeat the same) number of votes in the 1994 congressional election
that they got in 1990 (the previous non-presidential election year). Large
sectors of the grassroots of the Democratic Party that voted Democratic in 1990
stayed home in 1994. Something similar could happen in 2010 and in 2012. We
could see a strong mobilization of the right and a very demoralized left. We
are already seeing this. Why aren’t those on the left out in force at the town
hall mee tings on health care reform? Because the option they want –
single-payer – has already been excluded from the debate by a president they
fought to get elected.

  This is my concern. The alternative to Obama is Sarah Palin or someone like
her. Palin has a lot of support among the people who mobilized to support John
McCain. And the ridicule heaped on her by the liberal media (which is despised
by large sectors of the working class of this country) helps her, or her like,
enormously. I am afraid we may have, in the near future, friendly fascism. And
I do not use the term lightly. I grew up under fascism, in Franco’s Spain, and
if nothing else, I recognize fascism when I see it. And we are seeing a growing
fascism with a working-class base in the U.S. This is why we cannot afford to
see Obama fail. But his staff and advisors are doing a remarkable job to
achieve this. Ideologues such as chief-of-staff Rahm Emanuel (who, when a
congressman, was the most highly funded by Wall Street) and his brother,
Ezekiel Emanuel (who did indeed write that old people should have a lower
priority for health care spending) are leading the country along a wrong path.

  I don’t doubt that President Obama, a decent man, wants to provide universal
health care to all citizens of this country. But his judgment in developing his
strategy to reach20that goal is profoundly flawed, and, as mentioned above, it
may cost him the presidency – an outcome that would be extremely negative for
the country. He should have called for a major mobilization against the
medical-industrial complex, to ensure that everyone has the same benefits that
their representatives in Congress have, broadening and improving Medicare for
all. The emphasis of his strategy should have been on improving health benefits
coverage for everyone, including those who are currently uncovered. And to
achieve this goal – which the majority of the population supports – he should
have stressed the need for government to ensure that this extension of benefits
to everyone will occur.

  That he has not chosen this strategy touches on the essence of U.S.
democracy. The enormous power of the insurance and pharmaceutical industries
corrupts the nature of our democracy and shapes the frontiers of what is
possible in the U.S. Given this reality, it seems to me that the role of the
left is to initiate a program of social political agitation and rebellion (I
applaud the health professionals who disrupted the meetings of the Senate
Finance Committee), following the tactics of the Civil Rights and anti-Vietnam
War movements of the 1960s and 1970s. It is wrong to expect and hope that the
Obama administration will change. Without pressure and agitation, not much will
be done.

  Vicente Navarro, M.D., Ph.D., professor of Health Policy at The Johns Hopkins
University and editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Health Services.
The opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily
reflect the views of the institutions with which he is affiliated. Dr Navarro
can be reached at vnava...@jhsph.edu