From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scifino...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Keith Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:41 AM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] FlashForward on Thursday Anyone??

I plan to watch. Sounds intriguing. I've never read the book, and, while I
understand they've kept the spirit of the book, they made some changes for
television. They moved the location from Geneva, Switzerland to L.A. I'll be
there, of course, but you know, i really tire of everything important in the
world taking place in L.A. or New York. Last night, for example, the "NCIS"
series debuted a spinoff with LL Cool J and where was it? L.A., of course.
Every now and then I'd like to follow some events and people in other
cities--even other countries. (Yeah, I know: Americans won't watch anything
with "ferners" in it, and the major studios are in those two cities). But I
guess that's what the BBC is for? :)

The other major thing is in the book people flashed forward twenty-one years,
but in the series the jump is only six months. The producers didn't want to
have to produce the look of a future two decades from now, figuring six months
was far enough to build the story, but close enough to simplify how the story
is presented and avoid inaccurate predictions. I'm okay with that, though i
think they could have gone four or five years and been safe. They also shifted
the focus of the story from a scientist at CERN to a bunch of regular folks,
and, in the book, it's understood pretty quickly that a CERN experiment to
detect the Higgs-Boson particle (thought to carry the property of mass) caused
the event. In the TV series, they're going to hide the cause for most of the
series.

Still, it has potential. The author of the book is excited (I'll bet: think he
was paid a bundle). He understands the changes for the small screen, but is
also quick to point out that the series is basically a "based on" story, not
the original. He will not be changing his book world to match the TV world. You
can listen to an interview with him at the Slice of SciFi website. It's a
pretty detailed one:
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2009/09/19/slice-of-scifi-231/