They never really showed the device. They only showed the case and it being
opened and closed. (a Tarrantino trick) So the audience never really sees it
until they have money for it.

Another question I forgot to bring up is why didn't they use the floating
ball to go through the stargate to check it out?

--
Bringing diversity to perversity for 9 years!