To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: keithbjohn...@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:59:11 +0000
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Re: Quentin Tarantino confirms 'Kill Bill, Vol. 3,'
but  who's left to kill?

Just to ask, how in your mind does QT using the n-word in the context of the
worlds of his movies differ from black people doing it? I remember watching the
movie " The Best Man" (I think it was), the guys casually used the n-word quite
a bit. I may be wrong, maybe it was "The Wood". At any rate, it was a black
comedy that was one of those that'd be seen by black families, and i was a bit
surprised at how casually the word was thrown around. And of course Jay-Z has
recently argued with Oprah Winfrey that the word should be used by people like
him in order to take away its power--an argument I have never supported.

To be clear, I grew up in a time when the n-word was casually used all the
time. I no longer use it myself, but I have tons of relatives and friends who
do use it, typically when they're pissed at someone. I am admittedly from that
school that may not like it when a black person uses the word, but who *hates*
it when a white person directs it a black person.  But that said, QT, I must
admit, wasn't hurling it at black people as a personal insult, just using it in
the context of the world he'd built onscreen--a world based on teh
Blaxploitation movies he'd absorbed as a kid. So, if he's using characters from
such a world, and if we admit that such characters --like Jay Z--still use the
word quite a bit, is QT wrong for capturing that onscreen?

I don't have a full opinion, again, because I've only seen two of his pictures.
I remember the n-word being tossed around in "Pulp Fiction" when QT's character
was pissed at the black man who'd been accidentally killed. I flinched
everytime he said it, but figured, "he's playing a racist character, which is
the point". Of course we could argue that there's something disturbing about
QT's fascination with one aspect of Black culture, but does that make him
racist, clueless, confused, what?