From: "michellelaurenbooks" <miche...@michellelaurenbooks.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 7:14:51 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: 'America's Next Top Model' Creates Stir After
'Bi-Racial' Photo Shoot

Interesting indeed. As someone noted in the article's comments, this isn't the
first time Top Model has done this. In fact, it's not even new in Hollywood or
in modeling.

Not saying it's "right" or "wrong." I just feel it's difficult to know where to
draw the line. When does something stop being art and become offensive? And
what's offensive to some people in a racial group might not be offensive to
others. For instance, I remember when the whole French Vogue thing happened
(i.e. where white models wore black face). Many American black people were
upset, whereas some of my European friends of Jamaican and African descent
weren't bothered at all.

It's a very nuanced topic, and people have deep emotions attached to the notion
of "black face." Understandably so. I dislike the idea of anyone doing that --
even for art. I don't like when I see white models made up to appear Native
American or Asian. Why not just use a model of that ethnicity or nationality?

Either way, this gives Tyra's show more publicity. I'm sure there are some
people who will be tuning in to watch her upcoming episodes to see if she stirs
up any more controversy.

Michelle Lauren ~ www.michellelaurenbooks.com
Passion. Betrayal. Love that's out of this world.
STARSTRUCK HUNTER: Buy @ Liquid Silver Books
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMw6jm73mw
TEMPTATION EVE: Coming 11/2009 from Cobblestone Press
Video: http://tinyurl.com/yldvtra