There is so much meat in The Wire I could easily see a course being taught
about it.

Keith,
Do yourself a favor and watch it. I loved Homicide but The Wire was  a better
show and seeing it play out over five seasons is an incredible experience. It
seemingly starts out as a good guys-bad guys urban drama but Simon and Co. flip
the script early on and you realize it's something much deeper. It's the story
of an America city warts and all.

I have the coplete series on dvd and I plan on watching it again from Season 1.
It's that good.