Back in 1978, Jeff Wayne produced an album featuring the original book
written by H.G. Wells with a musical score and narrated by Sir Richard
Burton. I have heard parts of it played on our local rock station.

However tonight, our local PBS station played highlights from the live
musical that was made in 2006 featuring a live orchestra, and a giant 3d
head of Sir Richard Burton. (very errie and other worldly. Also robotic
looking.)  A full stage of HD computer graphics and choregraphed lights
accented the lasers from the alien ships! I think that scifi fans would love
this.

 Here is more on the original recording and the new play:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne%27s_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_Worlds