I'll take plausibility with glee, but I've been proven strange in the past.

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: hellomahog...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:06:17 -0800
Subject: [scifinoir2] Sci fi: fantasy or plausibility, which is better?

 Here is an old question: which makes for a better science fiction
film, a film where physics are adhered to ( plausible) or science
fantasy, a film where physics are ignored?

 EXAMPLE: STAR WARS has ships banking and turning in space as if
they were in an atmosphere, one can hear sounds in space ( laser fire,
explosions, etc) when of course such things would never happen. 2001:
A space odyssey has no sound in space, ships moving according to
physical law, more emphasis on the cerebral rather than the
swashbuckling aspect of the characters, etc.

  I like both, depending on the type of science fiction film/book it is.

  Omega Man and Last Man On Earth are both examples of the same film, another
good example of reality and fantasy:

 I AM LEGEND ( Will Smith film ):I cant see a world populated by
fast moving, hot tempered zombie people after the fall of
civilization..it makes for a great movie, but not something that I
would see happening in real life. But in OMEGA MAN, the survivors were
plague ridden lunatics that blamed technology for the fall of humanity
and demonized anyone that used machines..that's crazy, but it could
happen, its plausible...

  Anyone else?

--
Bringing diversity to perversity for over 9 years!