Its not real for a lot of people until when their house is gone.

I remember the day after the big quake in San Francisco. There was a guy
that rushed into the building where I was working saying "I have a 10:30
appointment!" We were all sitting in the dark waiting for the power to come
back on. He presses the button for the elevator and after a while he comes
back to ask why the elevator wasn't working. I said, "Did you feel the
earthquake yesterday? It was the biggest quake in 80 years... There won't be
any power for a while."