I second that emotion, brother.

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: hellomahog...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:16:09 -0800
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Re: Dr. Who's Blink

      I think that the US mindset has polluted the rest of the planet. There
are women of all nationalities dying their hair and wearing blue contacts.
Don't get me started on the plastic surgery thing or Asian women getting their
eyes rounded and eyelids changed at the risk of blindness.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Something else I've long admired about the Brits and people in other parts of
the world is that they're not as obsessed with skinny blondes as Americans are.
I was watching Donna in the Doctor Who marathon and told my wife, "this
actress would never have been cast in a similarly hot property in
America. She's too heavy, too plain looking (not ugly at all, just
kinda has an Everywoman look), and isn't a blonde". She agreed.  Note that the
actress who plays Rose Tyler would probably be put on a diet in H'Wood.
I thought she was perfectly fine--which is a clue she'd be considered overweight
by the mainstream. And Freema? They'd make her see a dentist to tone
down the front teeth, and probably want her to somehow reduce that butt
and those nice legs. I thought the Sister was pretty as can be, but when I
glimpsed that lower half in some jeans--after i quit saying "nice!"--I thought,
"Man, she's too real looking for most H'Wood suits".

Here, people sing the praises of sometimes-plain looking women like Jennifer
Anniston, Paris Hilton, or the late Britanny Murphy for being thin. The
thinner--and blonder--actresses get, the better.  Christ Carter relates that
when he was casting "The X-Files", he and David Duchovny had to threaten to
quit before the studio would accept Gillian Anderson. The studio demanded a
"prettier, thinner blonde" to offset the dark-feature Duchovny, if you can
believe that?!  There is some diversity creeping back into H'Wood. I'm seeing a
return of brunettes being cast as beauties, thank goodness. But even then, look
at shows like Gossip Girl or something, and all the women make me almost ill
they're so damn thin. What happened to curves?? I'm hoping the rise of people
like Jennifer Hudson, Scarlett Johannsen (whose curves I love, but who has been
called "borderline" by many) will finally break the mold.