I have two words: unintended consequences.  Human beings, like every other life
form on earth, are part of an eco-system.  Every now and then that eco-system
most inflict a famine or a plague to regulate that eco-system.  Unfortunately,
unlike most sentient life on earth, man can think about this and he has decided
he is exempt from the immutable laws of nature.  So, nature must keep upping
the ante.  As they said in the old margarine commercials: It is not nice to
fool Mother Nature.

~rave!