To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: grayson.reyesc...@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:12:56 -0800
Subject: [scifinoir2] Gamer - Spoilers

Hey Guys,

I'm coming out of lurkland! How's it going?

I didn't go see the movie Gamer when it was in theaters, mainly because I am
all Gerard Butler'd out. But I think, perhaps, I would have gone to the movies
if I had seen the rest of the cast. Though Gerard and "Luda" were not big
enough draws for me, adding in Michael C Hall, that chick from The Closer or
Kevin Bacon's wife, whichever (that is mean and misogynistic and potentially
offensive, but I don't care for The Closer and I'm offended by the idea that
chocolate will make me batty and orgasmal... I find *that* misogynistic), Amber
Valletta who's always either in a messed up relationship or is a thinly veiled
prostiute or some king or has a kid missing in a movie, Alison Lohman who
starred in the exceptionally gross Drag Me to Hell, John Leguizamo (my Latin
boyfriend), Ohymygod is that Keith David?, and Mr Ripped himself, Terry Crews
as Hackman made it a little more
 interesting.

What I find I like about this movie is this: Because I do play a lot of video
games, including adventure games, shooters, and war games, I recognized the
concept of bringing that into a violent focus through a film which reads
completely and utterly vicious and reprehensible because it exactly portrays
game action with live people, and that concept was fully realized for me.

I also think Terry Crews was stellar in the two seconds when he was not being
all hack-y. At his introduction, he's breathing heavily and having what I can
only refer to as a malevolent asthma attack that works well for the mood. The
first speaking scene he's in I absolutely adore. He's sweaty, covered in blood
and the lighting is very low. Since his and my complexion are about the same, I
take sincere note of and appreciate the way they avoid over-lighting so that he
both fades into the dark and becomes a menacing part of it that's almost anime
in look and feel. Then he starts singing this cheerful song "I've got no
strings" and he sounds really happy and it is super freaky and I love it.

Now let's add that it's got some pretty cool future-PC affects and what has to
be one of my new favorite musicalslashdanceslaskfightyetcrazilyKubrikian scenes
led by the serial killer everyone wants in their neighborhood. It has the
potential, I'm seeing it, I'm wanting it. but...

It's kinda crappy... Yeah, I know. I know. But I needed to extol its positives
earlier in order to fairly say it sucked...

Here's my top ten list of things that irritated me:

1) The battle scenes were too long... Yeah, yeah, yeah I said that it made
sense the way they were done and they appropriately simulated game play...
sooooooooo what!
2) Luda's attempt to persuade Simon into freeing Kable is a bit hard to
believe... Oh I know the talk was necessary, but damn couldn't they make it a
bit more eloquent of a moment? Actually, I retract that Luda and his whole
organization the Humanz is not well thought out and is a trope for trope's sake.
3) Hackman does not get killed in a honorable battle mano a mano and I needed
for that to happen.
4) Vomit and pee are not so great as energy sources even if they are renewable
5) Snowplows are not that agile
6) I saw the dude controlling Kable's wife in Seven, it didn't end so well for
him...  Wait a minute... that wasn't Seven, that was The Last Comic Standing.
7) "We're all slaves"... Shaking my head at this scene.
8) Milo Ventimiglia: You embarassed yourself once in The Curse and it was
amusing. This time, not so much. Rick Rape? Really, you should be ashamed of
yourself.
9) Why do people seem to equate the near future with the abuse latex?
10) "My nanocells are meant to transmit." nuff said.

The ending of this movie is like the ending of one of my books before my editor
gets violent with me. I get rushed and impatient and want to finish so damn bad
I take rush. I admit it. It's a shortcoming. THAT'S why I thank my editor in
advance for the literary violence and work on it every single day. But damn...
really?

Did anyone else see it?

 --Grayson

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390710/direct/01/