Living Black History: Spelman's SpelBots Amaze

Date: Monday, February 22, 2010, 6:32 am
By: Patrice Gaines, Special to BlackAmericaWeb.com

EDITOR’S NOTE: As part of our “Living Black History” series in observance of
Black History Month, this week, BlackAmericaWeb.com will celebrate blacks in
education.

Andrew Williams had a vision. Spelman College believed in it. And the result is
a team of fierce young women who are earning an international reputation by
going toe-to-toe with more experienced graduate level teams in games of high
technology. They are the SpelBots, first all-female and all-African-American
team to qualify for the prestigious senior league of Robocup.

Not quite six years after founding the group, Williams, their founder and
coach, says the SpelBots are “breaking barriers and paving the way for other
black women and for Spelman to one day win the international championship.”

Members of the team, mostly computer science and engineering majors, conduct
research and education projects in robotics and compete internationally in
robot soccer competition. The team is attracting young women to Spelman who
were pleased to find that the college offers an innovative way to learn cutting
edge technology.

“I had been on the robotics team in high school,” said Jazmine Miller, the
team’s co-captain and a junior who is a dual computer science and computer
engineering major. “I was always interested in computer science and love video
games. I found robotics very interesting.”

Jonecia Keels, the team’s other co-captain and also a computer science and
computer engineering major, said, “I saw (the SpelBots) give a presentation
during freshman convocation, and I thought about how they were breaking
stereotypes. By being a part of SpelBots, I thought it would show the world
that minorities can bring a lot to the table in technology.”

Coach Williams is the first and only African-American thus far to receive a PhD
in electrical engineering from the University of Kansas. He was teaching at the
University of Iowa, where he had just two black students in five years, when he
read the popular best-selling Rick Warren book, "The Purpose Driven Life." The
book made Williams start to ponder what he wanted to accomplish with his own
life.

“I realized my purpose was to help African-American students reach their
potential,” he said.

He had already returned to school to get his PhD. because he wanted to be a
role model for students. “At the time, during the mid ‘90s, we were having the
big dot-com boom, but I didn’t see many African-Americans becoming instant
millionaires,” he said. So Williams and his wife and their children moved from
Iowa to Atlanta so he could fulfill his purpose.

First, Williams introduced students to four-legged robots that looked like cute
little puppies.

“I thought they could spark interest in students because they were cute,” he
said. “Students could get visual and tactile feedback on programming. I was
concerned that sometimes our students aren’t taught in ways that cater to their
learning style.”

Team members spend some 10 hours a week on projects. But when preparing for
competition, that time can triple. The first year of competition, they
discovered most of their opponents were graduate schools. The SpelBots
qualified to participate in the international contests in Japan, but they
didn’t win any matches.

Last year, the team had a controversial first place tie in the RoboCup Japan
2009 Standard Platform Nao League humanoid soccer championship in Osaka, Japan.
It was a well-earned honor to even be invited by the RoboCup Japan organization
to participate in its first humanoid robot competition. In these contests,
teams play their opponents in soccer with robots programmed with artificial
intelligence and operated without the use of remote controls.

The SpelBots tied five matches and were playing the championship round against
Fukuoka Institute of Japan. They tied and had to

..... go into a penalty kick situation. Williams said, “If we could have done
sudden death, we would have won. But they picked up our robot just as it was
about to kick.”

A kick would have meant a win. Williams challenged the ending.
"The organizer started yelling at us,” said Williams, who insisted his team
receive proof of their standing. “They gave us documentation showing we tied.”

Neither the SpelBots nor the Fukuoka team was mentioned during the awards
ceremony. But SpelBots co-captain Jazmine Miller went on the Japanese team’s
Web site and found out they had put up information saying Fukuoka had won.

The SpelBots have put the contest on YouTube for all to see, and they have
their documentation to prove that the tournament at least acknowledged a tie.

“While some in the international community are supportive of us, we have also
learned the hard way that global racism and sexism does exist,” Williams noted.

Still, the student team members say they are reaping amazing benefits from
being SpelBots.

“Honestly, the benefits are limitless,” said Miller. “I’ve been able to travel,
learn a lot of programming applications … and be with a group of people who
continue to empower and encourage me.”

“We’re able to do graduate level work,” added Jonecia Keels. “How many people
can say they work on a $17,000 robot? This has boosted our confidence level
immensely. It has inspired us to work on our own projects. It has given us the
opportunity to get internships.”

Williams makes sure the students have an opportunity to also encourage other
youths.

“We’ve gone as far as California to speak to middle school students,” he said.
“Students treat them like rock stars. We get a chance to inspire under
represented students to pursue science and engineering.”

Just this month, the team was honored during a Black History celebration at an
Atlanta Hawks game.

To hopefully encourage even more black youths, Williams wrote a book called
"Out of the Box: Building Robots, Transforming Lives."

“I grew up on the low-income side of Junction City, Kansas. I’m the youngest of
six kids. My dad is African-American; my mother is from Korea,” said Williams.
“We had a two-bedroom trailer, and I slept in a cardboard box as a baby. I try
to encourage students not to let people put them in a box of low expectations
and not to put themselves in a box because of fear of failure.”

“I was intimidated at first because I didn’t think I was capable,” said Keels,
speaking of her high school experience. “The more I learned, the easier it
became. It was challenging and demanding but it wasn’t out of reach.”

Both Miller and Keels intend to pursue careers as entrepreneurs. Keels has
already designed an app that was offered by Apple for its iPhones.

“If you have a passion for the technology field, don’t be discouraged or
intimidated if you don’t see many African-American faces,” said Keels. “You are
just as intelligent as anyone else. We need to step outside the box and show
people we are capable.”