PE and art are the first to go when they do budget cuts in schools. That has
been a reality in California for the last 10 years. (they were even cutting
it during the .com years!) Every year there are debates about it in the
budget. So some school districts still have PE and some do not.  What some
parents have been doing is buying gym memberships for their kids so they
will have some activity but just because the kid is at the gym doesn't mean
that they will be exercising.

The Israelis are much better trained for close combat. They use Krav Maga
style training techniques which is a very intense hand to hand combat style
for street fighting if you are unarmed. Most of American training comes from
the 1950s. Basically they want things that are simplistic and doesn't take
more than a couple of weeks to learn.

I think there should be something similar to the Israelis in American style
combat. Or a combination of Krav Maga, and Choy Li Fut. Bruce Lee commented
that Choy Li Fut was one of the hardest styles to defend or attack against.