From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:50:53 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Kurosawa and Elmore Leonard on TV Tonight

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all the previews I've been catching on "Justified", I missed it (chin
deep in Kurosawa-san). Ditto for the repeat of that. Let me check the site, to
see if it can be viewed there.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

I mentioned "Samurai" on History Channel at 8 pm EST (Martin, it reruns at
midnight). But there are a couple other things worth checking out tonight.

First, Turner Classics is doing the second of its three Tuesday night Akira
Kurosawa marathons. Movies run from 8 pm EST until around 7 or 8 tomorrow
morning: http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=290045&mainArticleId=290029

Then on FX, at 10 pm EST there's the premiere of the new series "Justified".
This has me intrigued because it's based on Elmore Leonard's work. I've liked
just about everything I've ever seen done on his works, including the
criminally underrated TV series "Karen Sisco". The series' producers range the
gamut, and consists of people who worked on great shows like "Sisco",
"Boomtown", and "Sons of Anarchy"

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/justified/aboutTheShow.php

JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant),
a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and
cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws
when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it,
that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in
Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan,
at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later,
after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of
his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by
fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

The character of Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens was created by America’s
pre-eminent crime novelist Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty, Out of Sight) and is
played by Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood, Live Free or Die Hard). The Chief Deputy
of the Lexington U.S.M.S. office is ART MULLEN, played by Nick Searcy (Cast
Away, From the Earth to the Moon). Working alongside Raylan are fellow deputies
TIM GUTTERSON – played by Jacob Pitts (The Pacific) – and RACHEL BROOKS –
played by Erica Tazel (Life, The Office). Raylan, Art and the other deputies do
what all U.S. Marshals do – chase down fugitives, protect witnesses, transport
prisoners.

But, being back in Kentucky, Raylan will also have to confront a past crowded
with enough skeletons to choke a graveyard. There’s his old friend and fellow
coal-miner, now fugitive bank-robber, BOYD CROWDER (Walton Goggins - The
Shield). There’s AVA CROWDER (Joelle Carter - Monk, CSI: Miami), the
cheerleader from his youth he always had a crush on. There’s ex-wife WINONA
(Natalie Zea - Hung, Dirty Sexy Money). And, looming largest of all in Raylan’s
past, there’s his career criminal father ARLO (Raymond Barry - Cold Case,
Training Day).

JUSTIFIED was developed for series television by Executive Producers Graham
Yost (Boomtown, The Pacific), Michael Dinner (Karen Sisco, Sons of Anarchy),
Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly (Kidnapped) and Elmore Leonard. The series
comes from FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television.