Interesting.  I'm not well informed on the latest data on how boys and girls
learn. I know there's the feeling that boys are more mechanical, mathematically
gifted, hands on. Girls are supposed to be more conceptional, "dreamy". But
things like saying girls read what's put in front of them, while boys are
harder to control? Is that genetic or societal? Not sure.   I never needed
motivation to learn to read; in fact, i couldn't *wait* to learn the magic of
words as a child. That's a girl's trait, according to the article. At the same
time, I loved--and still love--informational books about dinosaurs and outer
space (boy's trait). I love "storybooks" (girl's trait), always read what was
put in front of me in school (girl's trait), but really like to do my own thing
(boy's trait). I learn most efficiently from discussing broad concepts, open
forums, and creative thinking, but managed to obtain an EE degree in a fairly
inflexible engineering world that brooked no arguing of the rules.

So I'm not sure what it means to say that current curricula favor girls. Are
girls lacking in creative thought, self-expression, and more used to be
controlled in a inflexible learning program? don't know. What I will say,
though, is that the emphasis more and more on passing tests, rote memorization,
and narrow teaching systems hurts *all* kids, regardless of gender.

I just listened on Wednesday to a really good Public Radio program from the
dean of Tufts University about how people learn. He discussed how he was
labeled "slow" as a kid, almost put back a year, and later, told by a college
professor he had no ability for psychiatry. Years later, he led the American
Psychiatric Association. What he realized was that how he learned didn't work
with the rote memorization that was the standard back then. When he was allowed
to learn in a freer, more open way, he excelled.

And yet here we are, closing schools left and right (four elementary schools to
be closed in DeKalb County, GA where I live), putting the burden of more
students on fewer teachers, and somehow still expecting teachers and students
to be more proficient at taking standardized tests whose efficacy is dubious at
best.

School not good for boys? I'd say it's not good for anyone right now...

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/03/17/lots-of-news-on-boys-none-of-it-good/?cxntlid=sldr

Lots of news on boys and school. None of it good.

12:01 am March 17, 2010, by Maureen Downey

A new report comparing math and reading skills by gender offers “good news for
girls but bad news for boys,” says Jack Jennings,  president of the Center on
Education Policy. The study shows a gender gap in reading with girls taking a
decided lead.

Released Wednesday, the center’s report on the achievement levels of boys and
girls on state reading and math assessments found that boys lag girls in
reading in all states across elementary, middle and high schools. “Something is
going on in our schools that is holding boys back,” says Jennings. ‘Let me
emphasize, we do not want a war of the sexes in education…but we need a broad
conversation on how boys can do better in schools.”

The study confirms the concerns of many educators who have been sounding an
alarm for year over the flagging academic performance of  boys and the
worrisome male dropout rate.

While educators worried 20 years ago about the gap between girls and boys in
math performance, girls have achieved parity with boys in math, says Jennings.

Historically, boys trailed girls in reading in the very early grades, but
caught up and exceeded girls by fourth grade. This study shows that is no
longer the case. Boys are not making up for lost ground in reading at any point
in their k-12 careers.

And a reason may be that the hands-on play that helped young boys develop
intellectually and learn to problem solve is increasingly curtailed by
inflexible academic approaches that better suit how little girls learn. Without
that developmental foundation, boys are not progressing in reading or becoming
interested in books.

Education researcher Susan B. Neuman , an expert in early literacy, was part of
a conference call Tuesday to talk to the press about the Center on Education
Policy findings. She said the study mirrored what she is seeing in special
education where boys, especially minority males, dominate. Neuman is a
University of Michigan professor and former U.S. Assistant Secretary of
Elementary and Secondary Education.

Calling the study “a rallying cry,” Neuman said it suggests that schools are
not meeting the needs of young boys because of a curriculum that does not
reflect their interests and classroom management that does not tolerate their
learning styles.

The problem is as basic as the content that we put in front of  young children,
says Newman, noting that while girls prefer storybooks, boys like books that
are informational, that tell them about dinosaurs or outer space.

“Girls tend to read what people give them,” says Neuman. “They’re intrigued
with learning to read. With boys, we have to motivate them to read.”

In the past, young children had more choices in school, says Neuman, but the
focus on testing and academic learning has left less time for choice and more
demand for conformity. The strong emphasis on teaching reading skills, sounds
and letters succeeds with girls, but not with boys, she says.

(We did not discuss the impact of video games on boys and reading, but a new
study suggests th at school performance suffers because of the time boys spend
playing video games.)

One of the experts expressing concerns about boys  has been Anthony Rao,
co-author of the new book “The Way of Boys: Raising Healthy Boys in a
Challenging and Complex World,” My interview with him is here.

>From the vantage point of working with families for 20 years, Rao says that he
>has seen less and less tolerance in schools of  little boys who can’t sit
>still or who are overly aggressive. Boys, for example, are expelled 4.5 times
>more often than girls in preschools — a rate that exceeds even high school
>expulsions.

Today’s classroom is better suited for the ways girls learn, says Rao. “When
you promote all this assessment and increasing standardization, you narrow the
way you are going to teach kids, eclipsing the ways that boys learn better. You
go to much less hands-on and manipulation of objects and to more sit down and
lectures.”

Also on Tuesday, the MetLife Survey of the American Teacher series issued its
own gender gap report. Among its findings:

Girls are more likely than boys to:

Strongly agree that it is important they go to school or college after high
school (71% vs. 65%)

Plan to attend a two- or four-year college (85% vs. 73%)

Be very confident they will achieve their goals for the future (59% vs. 50%)

Girls are less likely than boys to:

Agree that they only do enough work to do as well as they need to get by in
school (31% vs. 41%)

Speak one-one-one with teacher about their interests and things that are
important to them at least once a month (43% vs. 52%)

There is a lot here – and it’s midnight so I am closing before this turns into
the first chapter of a long book. Let’s discuss in the morning.