I think what made him great was the attention to detail on the level that he
worked at. One of the really cool things about 2001 was that he consulted
actual NASA engineers and computer programmers to work on the film. Most of
the minor details like the video communications, and the color HUD displays
that were in the film didn't appear until the 1980s.

I don't think that Spielberg could work on that level of detail at all.
There are very few directors that can. Most are busy just trying to get
through points A-Z. I think the guy that shot Children of Men, Alfonzo
Cuaron could do it.