I think that there are two ways to look at this.

1. Google is trying to impose American values on China. "We" have been
guilty of doing something similar over the many years that this country has
been around. Freedom of speech is something that does not exist fully in
China and never has never existed on a large scale there. They have learned
how to find a happy medium between being ruled with an iron fist and a free
society.

or

2. Google is doing what is right for all people. This seems to be the
general consensus in the western world. It pretty much works on some levels
but when it threatens the status quo and the government it breaks down very
quickly. However, we have enjoyed the fruits of freedom of press and speech
for so long that we believe everyone should have it as well. It is good for
business and good for humanity as well.

I got Google's back. :)