Sorry if this is long and confusing, but as the character is 80-plus years old,
he's got a *lot* of different stories. I can recall at least five different
major incarnations of Superman in the comics:

One: from creation in the 30s to the 50s. Later retconned as "Superman 2". The
one who originally couldn't fly, had to jump everywhere, and whose powers were
based on body density and inherit superpowers. Superman 1 originally was very
weak compared to his successor and his own later powers. For example, this one
could be hurt by something like an exploding weapon fired from a tank. Also
called the "Golden Age" Superman, he was a member of the Justice Society. Clark
Kent thought of himself as more the real person, and just wore the costume on
the job.

Two: the "Silver Age" Superman from the 60s to the 80s. Officially "Superman
1", the model for the movies. This one is the godlike Superman who could push
Earth out of orbit, and whose powers were a strange mix of molecular density
and yellow sunlight. This is the one who used a lot of Kryptonian tech. An
interesting aside, this Superman thought of himself as Kal-El, who used Clark
Kent as a mask to hide his identity. This is also the superman who had major
powers as Superbaby and Superboy.

Three: the post-Crisis Superman of John Byrne and the cartoon from the 80s.
Often called the "weak" superman, this one originally was much weaker, powers
back closer to Superman 2 at the beginning. He could fly, but couldn't reach
light speed, could only hold his breath for a couple of hours, and could lift
maybe a building, not the Earth. This Superman had no super dense muscles,
owing all his power to absorption of yellow sunlight. Gone were a lot of the
things from the Silver Age Superman: the androids, the super cats, monkeys, and
horses, all colors of Kryptonite except green. Superbaby and Superboy never
existed, this version's powers developing slowly over years, not reaching full
potential until adulthood (the last power he developed was flight, when he was
somewhere around 16 - 18). Byrne's take on this character was that he thought
of himself as Clark Kent, who used the mask of Superman to hide his identity.
Clark Kent was also a very confident, successful guy, not the nerdy wimp of the
old days (think Clark on "Smallville").
My personal fave of all the incarnations, closely followed by Superman 2.

Four: The post-Infinite Crisis Superman. I don't know much about this one, not
having read the books for two years now (thanks to Civil War, House of M,
Secret Invasion, Siege, etc.). It appears that the writers are moving him back
closer to the Silver Age Superman. His powers are going way up again (which I
don't like), the various colors of Kryptonite are back, a lot of Kryptonians
are back (from kandor I believe?). Clark is back to being a nerdy, wimpy guy,
and it appears Superman is closer to being the "real" person. Not my fave
version...