http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/happynews/ct-met-urban-prep-college-20100305,0,3299917.story

Four years ago, Bryant Alexander watched his mother weep.

She stared down at a muddle of D's and F's on his eighth-grade report card and
threatened to kick him out. He had barely passed elementary school, and high
school wasn't even on his radar.

"Something just clicked," Alexander, now 18, said. "I knew I had to do
something."

On Friday, Alexander proudly swapped his high school's red uniform tie for a
striped red and gold one — the ritual at Englewood's Urban Prep Academy for
Young Men that signifies a student has been accepted into college.