Excuse me... I need to go catch my flesh before it gets too far away. [?][?]

I freely admit that I'm a liberal prude. I'm willing to die to defend her
right to do that, if she so chooses. But I don't really even want to *know*
about it, much less *see* it.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Keith Johnson
<keithbjohn...@comcast.net>wrote:

> Okay, I guess this is what you call really committing to your art? I do
> think it's...questionable....having the shot fired at the same spot
> basically where JFK was killed.
>
> video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-AKFAtQQ8

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jackson-williams/singer-erykah-badu-strips_b_517862.html
>
> Singer Erykah Badu Strips Naked at JFK Assassination
> Site<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jackson-williams/singer-erykah-badu-strips_b_517862.html>
>
> Erykah Badu has posted a provocative new video
> <http://www.erykahbadu.com/>on her website to accompany the song "Window
> Seat." Currently #28 on Billboard's R&B/hip-hop chart, the song appears on
> the album *New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh*.
>
> In the video, Badu walks around Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas, her hometown
> and site of the November, 1963 shooting of President John F. Kennedy.
> Apparently filmed on St. Patrick's Day, onlookers watch as she slowly
> removes articles of clothing until a single shot rings out. Badu then falls
> down naked in the street, near the approximate spot where the presidential
> motorcade was passing by on that fateful day.
>
> It's an interesting piece of performance art. Gutsy, to say the least, and
> lucky, too, in that no cops showed up.
>
> *UPDATE:* The *Dallas Morning News *reports that city officials say Badu broke
> the law
> <http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032910dnmetbaduvidbadu.1f6c89461.html>by
> not securing a permit for the filming. The paper quotes from her Twitter
> account, where she feeds that she was making a statement against
> "groupthink," the "unwritten rule" that "i will not express my true opinion
> if it opposes those i love and fear." She adds: "i was petrified while
> shooting this video ... but liberation began to set in. i conquered many
> fears in that few moments." She said she was "too busy lookin for cops" to
> be embarrassed by her nudity. "i been naked all along in my words actions
> and deeds. thats the real vulnerable place."
>
> She said she knew there were children nearby as she was stripping, and
> added, "i prayed they wouldnt b traumatized."
>
> She also said that adults nearby were yelling at her, "THIS IS A PUBLIC
> PLACE : YOU OUGHTA BE ASHAMED : PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON : DAMN GIRL! etc."
>
> *UPDATE #2:* Badu has now given an interview
> <http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/0330quickbadu.1f733ed77.html>to
> her local daily. Highlights:
>
> *Q:* To start, what can you tell me about the thought process behind the
> video for "Window Seat"?
>
> *EB:* The song "Window Seat" is about liberating yourself from layers and
> layers of skin or demons that are a hindrance to your growth or freedom, or
> evolution. I wanted to do something that said just that, so I started to
> think about shedding, nudity, taking things off in a very artful way. I am
> [...]

<<363.gif>>

<<362.gif>>