From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2010 6:45:33 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] ebook prices going up soon

Boy, am I glad that I like the feel of a book in my hands.

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 12:07 AM, brent wodehouse < brent_wodeho...@thefence.us
> wrote:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Books/2010/03/30/13414016-cp.html

ebook prices going up soon

By Michael Oliveira, THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - If you were thinking about buying an ebook, you may want to do
it now.

The prices of most new releases will soon be hiked by as much as 30 to 50
per cent.

A major upheaval in the ebook world is coming Thursday, with five of the
six biggest publishers in North America implementing a new pricing regime
that will do away with discounting and the need for comparison shopping.

Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, MacMillan, Penguin Group and Simon &
Schuster are moving to the so-called agency model, which means they will
dictate the price their ebooks are sold at and retailers will be forced to
follow.

It's expected to result in price increases for new releases, which
consumers will definitely notice, said Mike Serbinis, chief executive of
Kobo, the online ebook retailer owned 58 per cent by Indigo Books & Music
Inc. (TSX:IDG).

The days of new releases usually priced at US$9.99 are numbered and
readers can think of $12.99 or $14.99 as the new normal.

"I think what you're going to see is a lack of discounts, so consumers
will notice that. So far, they've seen list prices of $29.99 and 60 per
cent discounts, with the actual selling prices around 10 bucks - that will
go away in general," he said.

However, there's still one major publisher that hasn't switched over to
the new pricing model, Random House, and Serbinis expects its books will
be discounted aggressively by retailers.

The launch of Thursday's new pricing regime was a last-minute change
imposed by the publishers and retailers are scrambling to adapt by the
deadline.

As a result, some titles may disappear temporarily, if all the logistics
aren't sorted out in time.

"We're working feverishly, like all the other major players in this space,
to get ready for Thursday, the change - I would say like all things in
this space right now - has happened very fast," said Serbinis.

"There's legal stuff to do, there's IT things to do to get the new pricing
and the new approach and the new rules in place in time."

Macmillan CEO John Sargent said in a blog post that its new releases
generally will be priced between $12.99 and $14.99, although there might
be some exceptions. When books go into paperback, the ebook price
typically will be reduced to a range of $6.99 to $9.99, he added.