I have seen "Cadence."  Saw it on the big screen in 1990.  Own it on VHS.  I
don't remember it for this song, however.  I remember it for the performances
of Laurence Fishburne, Michael Beach and John Toles-Bey. What I remember most
vividly is the step, call and response of the "cadence" performed by the black
soldiers imprisoned/enslaved in an army stockade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgAi-77fonA&feature=related

The movie can easily be deconstructed as a trenchant allegory about being black
in America or as yet another movie where what should be a black man's tale is
high-jacked by the less compelling journey of a white man (Charlie Sheen).

It occurs to me how brave Charles Fuller's "A Soldier's Story" (1984) was and
is.  If "Story" had not begun as a play (or, if the play had been written by a
white man), the lead, Army Investigator Captain Davenport played by Howard E.
Rollins, Jr., would have been played by a white actor from the Gregory Peck
school of acting.

The movie is unsatisfying on many levels because it concentrates on Charlie
Sheen's "rebel without a cause" who is just passing through instead of on the
real men doing hard time (primarily for being black in a white man's army).

~(no)rave!