You're nail on the head, Tracy. If memory now serves me as well, the
mother's family (she died during the boat passage from Cuba to Florida) said
that she took the boy to give him a better life here in America. Oddly
enough, the publicity this all engendered resulted in his having a far
better life in Cuba than he would ever have had, had he beeen allowed to
stay here. Had he done so, he'd be an afterthought, a Dateline story years
after the fact.

"Whatever Happened to Little Elian?"