Mr Worf, I think it was through forced evolution and strict discipline
through education and a caste-like society. On Gallifrey itself, there were
regular human beings, who served the Time Lords in various capacities.

And I can see a compelling case for "going mad by looking into Time Itself".
It's been proposed that Time Lords have an innate sense of time that allows
them to see the myriad folds of it as it flows, allowing them to know what's
supposed to happen and what must happen. Having that in one's head wouldn't
make for easy sleep.