From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 6:19:54 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] WTF--SyFy Fridays Changing to Wrestling?

Took me twenty seconds to shake off the shock before I could reply...

To paraphrase one of the Founding Fathers, "Now is the time for all good people
to chip in and create a competitive network against this crap."

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

Well, how much more does SyFy plan to get away from the scifi motif? They claim
it's a zero-sum gain, since one wrestling show is going away, to be replaced by
another, and since they claim Tuesday nights will generate better viewership.
But this is utter bullcrap. A two hour wrestling block on Friday nights? I just
don't get this...

http://www.multichannel.com/article/451611-Syfy_s_Wrestling_Upgrade_SmackDown_on_Fridays.php

Syfy’s Wrestling Upgrade: ‘SmackDown’ on Fridays
By Thomas Umstead -- Multichannel News, 4/19/2010 12:01:00 AM

Syfy hopes to pin down young wrestling fans on Friday nights with the fall
launch of World Wrestling Entertainment’s popular Friday Night SmackDown ,
newly acquired by the NBC Universal outlet.

Syfy will air the two-hour, weekly series — which migrates from broadcast
network MyNetworkTV — beginning Oct. 1, during the 8 to 10 p.m. slot on Fridays
that had been home to Syfy’s original series.

To make room for SmackDown , Syfy will move original franchises such as Caprica
and Sanctuary , which had aired on “Syfy Friday,” to Tuesday nights.Th ey
replace wrestling reality series WWE NXT, which will leave the network’s
schedule in October.

WWE NXT — formerly ECW — has averaged 1.4 million viewers since launching last
month. Friday Night SmackDown averages more than 3.4 million viewers a week on
MyNetworkTV, making it the second most popular WWE franchise behind USA
Network’s WWE Monday Night Raw .

“I think this is a fantastic opportunity to upgrade what we already have and
bring in a bigger WWE franchise — SmackDown being the second biggest after Raw
,” Syfy president Dave Howe said. “ SmackDown attracts a bigger, more family
oriented audience, so it’s more helpful in terms of cross-promotion with the
rest of the schedule.”

ORIGINALS MOVE TO TUESDAY
Howe said Tuesdays will provide greater exposure for those originals than
Fridays, typically a slower night in terms of television viewing. Freshman
original series Warehouse 13 , for example, averaged a networkhigh 3.8 million
total viewers last summer on Tuesday nights.

Howe hasn’t totally ruled out the possibility of launching a scripted series in
the Friday 10 p.m. time slot.

“We still have Fridays at 10, so what we’re aiming to do is use SmackDown as a
springboard to launch new shows on Friday, or put in repeats of our scripted
shows so that we can continue to grow that SmackDown audience across our
schedule,” he said.

WWE officials are said to be “currently in negotiations” with other
distributors regarding future carriage of WWE NXT .

--
"If all the world's a stage and we are merely players, who the bloody hell
wrote the script?" -- Charles E Grant