Winkler and great actress Marcia Gay Hayden join the Royal Pains cast. It's an
entertaining show, especially when watched as part of a block of other good
shows on the network. In odd ways, some cable stations like USA and TNT have
almost returned to the old school days when you could count on at least a
three-hour block of good TV programming on a given night. Used to be you could
watch TV from 8 - 11 EST on most nights, and get a variety of good drama and
comedy, no reruns. Reality TV was music/comedy variety shows. Now, even the
major networks are lousy with crappy reality shows, reruns abound, still too
many CSI/Law and Order clones.

But check the cable lineups.

USA:

The Closer, Dark Blue, Hawthorne, Leverage, Memphis Beat (new series with Jason
Lee), Men of a Certain Age, Rizzoli & Isles (new series with Sasha Alexander
from "NCIS")

TNT:

Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych, Covert Affairs (new series), Royal Pains, The
Closer, Code Blue, In Plain Sight
Franklin & Bash

Through in series like "Justified" and "Damages" on FX, and you have a lot of
shows on cable that cover drama, humour, action, and shows that are
combinations of all of the above. I enjoy the drama of In Plain Sight, and the
stars' ascerbic personality, the crazy quirkiness of "Justified", the light
action of Leverage and Burn Notice, the humor and sometimes uncomfortably close
bite of "Men of a Certain Age".Even their reruns (Charmed, Supernatural, NCIS,
) are more entertaining than a lot of network fare.

Many nights I find myself sitting down and watching blocks of shows on the
cable channels and enjoying myself way more than I do on the major networks.