Tired of the so-so, FX-heavy, plot-light summer "blockbusters" (which includes
"Iron Man 2", sadly), I sought solace this past weekend in the indie movie
scene. I went to a small theatre here in Atlanta called Tara, which has four
screens, and shows a lot of fare that doesn't get wide release.  I took my wife
to see "Mother and Child". It's an emotional telling of a woman (Anette
Benning) whose life has been all but ruined by a decision to give her child up
for adoption, and the cold and empty life that now adult child (Naomi Watts).
Good movie, deliberately paced, not for the Transformers crowd.

While at the movie, I was intrigued by a trailer for a film called "Kings of
the Evening", which was evidently completed last year. It's a Depression -era
drama starring Tyson Beckford, Lynn Whitfield, Glynn Turman, Steven Williams
(star of "21 Jump Street" and "Linc's"), and Lou Myers. The film has earned
accolades at festivals around the country. It's only got limited release: the
Tara in Atlanta this weekend, Chicago, Cincinnati, LA in the upcoming weeks.
Still, looks like it might be worth seeking.

Check the site below for a trailer and actor info:

http://www.kingsoftheevening.com/

After two years in jail, Homer Hobbs (Beckford), returns home during the depths
of the Great Depression. Homer finds a kinship with four strangers as they find
hope, dignity and a chance at a new life: Benny (Dorsey), the eager hustler,
Gracie (Whitfield), the gracious owner of a boarding house, local oddity
Clarence (Turman) and Lucy (Washington), a young beautiful woman with a
mysterious past.  Each finds comfort with the other and life turns for the
better when on Sunday nights the men of the neighborhood piece together their
finest attire to compete in an unusual contest.  The winner might go home with
the big five dollar prize, but also something priceless...  the chance to feel
like a king, if just for an evening.