I think allowing kids to do stuff solo that are on a life or death level is
a bad idea. There have been many adults that have attempted to sail that far
on their own and have found themselves in serious trouble. Kids do not have
the maturity or experience to get themselves out of intense situations that
could possibly kill them. This is another case of poor parental decision
making.

Also, you have to think what are the real motives behind doing a stunt like
this? Bragging rights? Fame by proxy?